*Chapter 20*

Screw that saying. You know the one that says 'If you love two people, then choose the second one because if you truly loved the first one, then you would have never fallen for the second.'

Yeah, well it's bullshit. I'm going to throw this wise, meaningful quote in the trash and quote one of my favorite movies- This Means War. You know the crazy, alcoholic best friend with the fat husband? Well, she happened to spew out the most inspirational quotes of the movie.

She said,"Don't choose the better guy, choose the guy that's gonna make you the better girl."

Well, I feel like Luke makes me the better girl. Sure, sometimes he makes me crazy and impulsive, but crazy and impulsive are good. they make life more exciting. They make life worth living.

But other times he makes me courageous, witty, and loving. And damn it, he makes me happy, too. Isn't that the best quality a person can have? Happiness?

It sure seemed like it to me.

Plus, it was never right with Clark. I mean, sure he was there when I needed someone to lean on and I ended up falling for him, but it was never the same. I never felt like my skin was on fire just by his slightest touch. I didn't get a parade of butterflies in my stomach when he said my name. Hell, even the fireworks faded away. I should have known all along. there shouldn't of had to be a stupid choice in the first place.

I used this as my inspiration as I marched up the stairs to his dorm.I curtly knocked twice on the familiar door and waited. I had called earlier today to make sure he would be here. I had told him we had to talk.

After a few seconds, Greg swung open the door. When he saw the look on my face, he turned to Clark.

"Hey dude, I'm going out,"he called and grabbed his car keys. He gave me a wink before leaving and shutting the door behind him.

I sat awkwardly in the computer chair beside Clark's bed. Spinning around a few times until I figured out exactly what I was going to say. It hadn't even been a day since Jessica had told me that I had already made my choice. It took a night of considering, so here I am.

"So, what do you want to talk about?"he asked nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. All it did was remind me of Luke.

"Umm,"I hesitated,"The decision."

In stead of perking up and looking hopeful, he continued to look glum,"Oh, okay."

"Yeah. I've decided I'm not going to beat around the bush because you look like you already know what I'm going to say. I choose Luke,"I sighed, running my fingers through my hair as I waited for his reply.

"Oh, okay,"he frowned.

"Look, I'm really sorry it had to be this way. Maybe later when you feel a little more comfortable around me, we can hang out. I just really want us to stay close. I will always love you as a brother,"I gave a small smile.

He returned my weak smile,"I'd love to hang out. I'll always love you. Somehow, I'm not surprised this happened. Ever since he got back in town, I've seen the way you look at him and talk to him. He makes you happier than I ever could have. And that's all I want, for you to be happy."

I gave him a real smile this time,"I'm glad you're okay with it. I'll talk to you later?"

I stood up and he said,"Later."

I hurried back out to my car and drove home. There goes one thing checked off the list. Only a hundred more to go.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*