*Chapter 1*

I woke up with the sun blazing through my large window, opposite my bed. I squinted my eyes and struggled to get my body to function properly. After a while of hard work, my duvet was finally off of me and I was sitting up. My eyes adjusted to the brightness pouring into the room and I darted my eyes to the alarm clock. It was already nine which meant I was an hour late getting up. I'm surprised my dad hadn't come up here to wake me up yet, seeing as we are now late to church.

I scrambled out of bed and threw on one of my church dresses and some ballet flats. I skidded through the hall and down the stairs. The smell of scrambled eggs and frying bacon wafted to my nostrils as I entered the kitchen. My mom was casually standing there, still in her pajamas, pushing the eggs around the skillet.

"Goodmorning sweetheart. Why are you dressed up?"she greeted.

"Goodmorning. I thought it was Sunday?"I said, confused.

"It is,"she responded vaguely.

Did I have to choke the answer out of her?

"Then why aren't we going to church?"I asked.

"Oh, that. Well Bill went out this morning to fetch the eggs and feed the animals like he always does. When he got to the cows, he noticed that Missy, the pregnant one, was fixin' to go into labor. So we passed on church today and he and your brother are back there tending to her,"she explained, dispersing the eggs onto five plates.

"Oh, okay. Is there anything that you need help with?"I offered.

"Sure. You can go upstairs and wake your sister,"she suggested.

I nodded and did as asked and started to march up the stairs. I made a pit stop at my room and changed quickly into some ripped denim jeans and a a long sleeve t-shirt. Then, I made my way to Sarah's room. I gently pushed the door open and peeked into the pink and camoflauge decorated room. I walked in and saw my sweet little sister curled up under her quilt. She had a tranquil expression on her face and her pink lips were curled up into a small smile.

The innocence of her features made me want to let out an 'aw'. I tip-toed over to her sleeping form and knelt down beside the bed. I gently rocked her shoulder while asking her to wake up. She was a deep sleeper so it took me a good five minutes to finally wake her up.

"Huh, what,"she mumbled in her squeaky, little five-year-old voice while rubbing her eyes.

"It's time to get up. Mommy is fixing some yummy breakfast,"I prompted, standing up.

"Pancakes?"she asked hopefully.

"No, even better. She's making eggs and bacon!"I chirped.

"Yes!"she cheered and hopped out of bed, stumbling her way out of the room.

I walked after her and watched her sit down at the top step and scoot all the way to the first floor. I just chuckled and followed suit. Unfortunately, I was wearing shorts so I got slight carpet burn on the backside of my upper thighs.

I groaned and rubbed the red skin while walking to the kitchen. Sarah was already sat at the table, engulfing her plate of food.

"Honey, could you please go see if your dad and brother are done so they can come eat breakfast,"my mom asked.

"Sure."

I walked out into the screened-in porch. Without marveling over the granite fireplace and expensive brown wicker chairs like everyone else seems to do, I went out the screen door and started the long trek to the cows. Frost covered the grass and it crunched under my foot. Finally, I made it to my dad and brother. I barely glanced at my dad who was handling a baby calf and turned to my brother, John. A calf being born was an often occurence and I had seen it many times before.