*Chapter 25*

I flung the door of the slow moving car open, scrambling in my haste to make it across the empty street. As quickly as I could, I ran towards my teary friend bundled in a blanket against the cool spring air.

"Sam? What happened? Are you okay?"I asked, searching her face.

I heard Luke's footsteps behind me and turned to find a very confused expression on his face. Before I turned, I noticed him shooting Samantha questioning looks as well.

"W-we were dr-driving home...,"she couldn't even complete her thought without bursting into a fresh round of sobs. Apparently whatever happened was bad, even worse than I imagined. 

In stead of shaking her until she spit it out like I so desperately wanted to do, I walked closer a step and took the trembling girl into my arms. She leaned her head on my shoulder, causing tears to run down my bare, chilled skin.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, she pulled away and sniffled.

"We were driving home, you know? Laughing and goofing off like we always do. That was until a car came speeding out of nowhere. Not just any car, it was a massive truck. It practically ran us over!"she hiccuped a little before pulling herself together once more.

"Jared. It was so terrible! The impact was on his side, so he got the brunt of it. It obliterated the driver's side of his car. H-he got taken away in the ambulance. It wasn't good. He was unconscious and he was bleeding. Oh God, Izzy! He was bleeding so bad!"then came more sobs. I was on the verge of crying myself.

She trembled and hiccuped once more,"A-and you wanna know the wo-worst part? The bastard drove away afterwards. It was fucking hit and run!"

This time when the trembling blonde broke down, I broke down with her. We both sat there crying for a while. At some point Luke came up behind me and circled his arms around both of us, cradling us as if we were glass.

Eventually a police officer came over and asked us if we wanted a ride to the hospital.

"No thanks officer,"Luke said politely, a false smile on his face,"My car is just over their so I think I'll drive us over to it."

The officer just nodded before walking off and hopping into his police car. Then, I got into the car and put on my seat belt, my mind and body seeming to go numb. My silence and lack of motion only disrupted by my robotic caressing of Samantha's hair as she cried on me and the nonsense words that spilled out of my mouth, meaning to be soothing and optimistic.

Without me really noticing, we pulled up in the strangely empty parking lot and walked in a group up to the large, intimidating building. The tired lady at the front desk told us to take a seat in the waiting room. Luke must have, at some point, contacted the rest of our group and Jared's parents because minutes later they all came rushing into the hospital.

 And, as all of the crying people settled into the hard, plastic chairs, I began to wonder. How had everything gone all wrong? How had such a perfect night flipped in the course of a few seconds?

I jerked when Luke wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to him. Just like that, the numbness shattered and I began to ball onto his shoulder. My tears soaked through the white dress shirt and I blindly realized that he had taken off his suit jacket and his slim tie.

"Shhh. It's going to be okay,"he cooed, whispering in my ear. 

His warm breathe sent a shiver up my spine, but it didn't stop the sobbing. I had just seen Jared dancing and laughing with his girlfriend, talking sports with his guy friends. In every aspect of the word, I still felt him healthy. I felt like I would look over and find him sitting in the chair beside me, sending me that goofy smile of his.