*Chapter 16*

Like Wednesday, that weekend came much too quickly. I spent the rest of the weekend wondering how I was going to tell Luke. I mean, I can't just walk up to him and be all like 'Hey. I know you love me and I just broke it off with my boyfriend so do you want to go get coffee sometime?'

Though that seemed like the easy way, I didn't want to seem too forward. Even though it's Luke, the guy that I dated forever, it's been almost two years since we really talked. People can change in two years. Like majorly change. I'm scared that if we do end up together, it won't be the same. 

I took a deep breath, smoothing down my black t-shirt. For tonight's events, I had decided to go edgy, yet casual. I was currently wearing a black tee, grey vest, dark skinny jeans, and black cowboy boots. My breath hitched when there was a knock on the door. Not too long after, I heard my mom open it and great the Andersons.

One more deep breath and I was ready to go. I opened up my bedroom door and walked swiftly and quietly down the stairs. I was greeted by the smell of food cooking in the kitchen, and Mrs. Anderson's unique perfume. Even after two years, I haven't forgotten the lavender and vanilla mix.

 Everyone had already exited the entry foyer by the time I got down, so I headed to the living room. There is where I found everybody. My dad, Luke, and Mr. Anderson where all situated on the couch, yelling at some college football game. I rolled my eyes at their typical behavior and made my way to the kitchen, which is where the women had congregated.

"Hey Lucy!"I greeted Mrs. Anderson with a hug.

She hugged me back before bringing me to arms length and letting her eyes roam over me,"Oh, Isabelle! You have grown so much! You are such a beautiful young lady."

I blushed,"Thank you. You haven't seemed to have aged a bit!"And she really hadn't. Luke's mom still had the same eyes as Luke without any wrinkles around them. Her face, despite the lack of product, looked refreshed and vibrant with energy. Her body still maintained its petite figure and her hair was still honey blonde with a few gray streaks.

"Thank you,"she smiled and turned back to my mother,"Now, where do you want me to put this pie?"

I took that as my cue to leave and made it back into the living room where the station had taken a commercial break. I sat down on the love seat diagonal from the couch.

"Hi Isabelle,"Mr. Anderson greeted with a warm smile.

"Hi Evan,"I returned the smile. That was our usual greeting. There was no need for any more conversation, because the words had an underlying meaning. It said 'How have you been?', 'Okay', 'It's good to see you', and 'I've missed you'. I loved Evan like my own father. We had grown close during Luke and I's relationship and even after two years it hasn't faded.

I turned to Luke,"Hey Luke."

"Hey Isabelle,"he gave a slight smile before returning his attention to the TV. 

This made Evan smack him on the back of the head,"Is that all you have to say to the girl you love?"

If I had been drinking something, I would have spit it out. But, I wasn't, so instead I began choking on my own spit. I finally calmed myself down to see that Luke had blushed an adorable scarlet and Evan was looking between us suspiciously.

"I was just joking,"Evan finally said, breaking the silence.

I just rolled my eyes and settled back in my seat, trying to calm my flaming cheeks.

After about ten minutes of awkward silence, except the occasional shout at the TV, my mom announced that dinner was ready. We all made our way to the dinner table, John and Sarah now downstairs, too. My mom and dad sat at the heads of the table. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson sat beside each other on my dad's side, John sat next to Evan. Sarah sat next to mom, while I sat in the middle with Luke sitting next do my dad on my other side. How I ended up beside Luke, I will never know. I would have happily sat in John's spot.