The Wind's Master

"Tornado!"

That was what Sonic was best at unraveling. That and Eggman's robots.
He and his three friends, Tails, Amy and Knuckles had been taking out the madman's factories and goons for years, and little by little, others had joined the fight.

But today, Eggman's tornado-forming robot had decided to throw the little town of Green Hills a curveball. Sonic took off at full speed, his eyes focused on the robot. "Nice try, Eggman...but not in this town!"

He vaulted into a spindash, slamming into the robot's chest. It stumbled backward, but didn't fall like he'd wanted.

He did, however, get the robot's attention off of the civilians. It turned its head, red eyes glowing as it activated it's turbine, trying to blow the hedgehog away.

But as the world had discovered, wind meant nothing to their hero. He could break the sound barrier without even breaking a sweat.

Sonic dodged the gusts of wind. "Guys! Get the civilians out of here!"

Amy and Knuckles were doing so, ushering the innocent away from from the scene. Tails, however, was twisting around in his plane, the Cyclone, and firing on the robot's backside.

"Try to find a weak spot, Sonic!" He shouted. Suddenly the robot swung at him, knocking the plane to the side.

"Tails!" Sonic ran towards the veering plane, but was pinned down by the robot's other hand. "Ah! No!"

Tails pulled hard on the controls, and Sonic saw the plane pull up, gliding down towards the ground. "I'm okay...!" Tails gasped.

Sonic nodded, then squirmed out of the robot's grip, but the wind of the turbine plastered him to the ground. "Rrgh!"

"Ho ho!" Eggman cackled. "Not so easy to get footing lying down, huh Sonic!?"

Sonic fought against the wind, lifting his hands up. He felt the air pushing down on them, but he shoved them upwards hard. "Rrrraaaaaugh!"
The wind twisted, forming a tornado and sucking the engine out and flinging it to the side.

Without a power source, the robot powered down, and Sonic scrambled out from under it before it slammed to the ground with a massive thud.

Sonic had managed to get only a few feet from it's lifeless eyes before collapsing into the grass, darkness overcoming him.
................................................................

Run! Run now, before they kill you!

I can't leave you!

Wherever you go, my spirit goes too...The Amethysts...Never...Quit...

Sonic gasped, his eyes opening as he coughed to expel dust from his lungs. He knew those voices weren't anyone he knew, so who had he been hearing?

Then he remembered. He'd made a tornado with his hands. He sat up, finding himself back home. How long had he been unconscious?
"Guys?" He called.

"You're awake!" Amy squealed, hugging him tightly. "I was so worried!"

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine..." Sonic looked at Amy. "How long was I out?"

"Only a few hours." Tails answered. "Good job taking out Eggman's bot, by the way."

"Yeah, I didn't know I could do that."

"What are you talking about?" Knuckles asked, "You bust up his bots all the time!"

"No! I mean... I can suddenly control the wind!" He lifted his hands, trying to repeat the action, but nothing happened. "Maybe the gust has to be there first."

"Uh huh." Knuckles patted Sonic's head. "Maybe you should get more sleep, I think you hit your head."

Sonic growled. "I'm not kidding! I really did control the air!"

"Yeah. Right."

"Just focus on resting, Sonic." Tails suggested, "We'll figure this out once you're back on your feet."

Sonic didn't like to sleep, but he nodded, curling up on the couch again. He'd prove it to them, somehow.

................................................................

Sonic spent the next few days trying to recreate his new power, but to no avail.

About a week after the incident, Sonic was grooming his quills when suddenly, the reflection was not his own.
Sonic jumped back, the reflection staying put like a portrait. "What the...?" Sonic stepped towards the mirror, examining the hedgehog looking back at him.

He was brown, with shaggy eyebrows and a goatee. He was dressed in a brown shirt, but what frightened Sonic was the blood stain and rip on the hedgehog's shirt. He'd been stabbed.

"H-Hello...?" Sonic asked. "...Sir?"

Suddenly the hedgehog put his hands on the mirror, like he was talking through a window. "Run, child!" He shouted. "They're coming for you!"

Sonic stepped back. That voice was coming from inside his head! "W-Who?"

"I'll explain later, just get out of there, Sonic!"

Sonic wondered if the same people that had stabbed this hedgehog were coming for him too. He kept that in mind as he dashed out of the house and into the streets.

He got a few miles from his house before he paused. What was he doing, taking orders from a man in a mirror? "I'm losing my mind..." he murmured.

Suddenly the sky was washed over by dark clouds, and the air turned cold. Sonic watched as a shape materialized in front of him, a being in dark armor and wielding a curved sword in one hand.

Sonic felt a chill shoot through his body, like he'd seen this guy before, and had never hoped to see him again. It was fear and rage all at the same time.

"There you are...!" The knight growled, then swung his blade at Sonic. Sonic dodged, feeling the blade whiz by his ear, then he jumped, stomping on the dark knight's helmet before taking off into the city. "Ah! Why you little-"

Sonic was already gone, his feet pounding the asphalt. "What the heck is going on here? I'm running from a fight!"

No, logic answered, it's a strategic retreat. You don't know enough about this guy to fight him right now.

Sonic shook his head, then dashed all over the city streets of his home, Torrent City. He made sure not to leave any trails, then turned back and dashed into Tails' workshop.

Tails turned from his project as his friend slammed the door shut behind him. "Sonic, are you okay?"

Sonic shook his head, "Somebody's trying to kill me...!" He whispered, then darkness tunneled around him.

"Sonic!" Tails took the hedgehog carefully, lying him down on the mattress Sonic usually used to nap. He then closed all the blinds, and turned off all the lights, curling up next to Sonic to wait on him to wake up.
Wait for him to give an explanation.