Reflective Conversation

"Ow!" Tikal yelped as Knuckles shocked her. Again. It had been going on for several days now.

"I'm sorry, Tikal...I'm just picking up static like you wouldn't believe." Knuckles apologized.

"It's okay...It is getting closer to Winter."

Knuckles nodded. Colder air meant more static, but with everything going on with Sonic's search for elemental powers, he couldn't help but be curious... What was missing was the voices in his head. "I'll be back."

"You want me to come-oh." Tikal waved her hand. "You go relieve yourself."

Knuckles smirked as he ran off into the trees. Using that excuse was one of the few ways to get Tikal to give him some privacy.

He wandered through the trees until he was certain nobody could hear him, then started talking to himself. "Okay, if I am part of this...Amethyst thing, then I need some evidence...hello?"
There was a long period of silence, and Knuckles was preparing to call it quits, when he heard a soft voice whisper in his mind.

Hi...Sorry, it's hard to get through your hard head.

"What!?"

I'm just sayin'...

Knuckles went to a puddle, where he could see the Amethyst speaking. He looked like another echidna, his shoulders big and sturdy under silvery dreadlocks. "And...who are you exactly?"

I...am Winter Charge, don't ya know. One of the oldest Amethysts created, after Wind and Heat, but before Stream and Harvest. He winked, and I'll bet you already know the power I gave you.

"Electricity." Knuckles crossed his arms. "No doubt that means Sonic and those knights are already on their way."

Nope! Charge replied, you see, you haven't manifested yet, which is what tips them off. So until you and I make a conjoined decision to use your powers, nobody has to know...!

Knuckles smirked, then splashed the puddle to destroy the reflection. "So you can stop shocking my fiancé, right?"

That ain't me. That's just the usual 'rub-your-feet-across-the-carpet' static.

Knuckles grinned. "Nobody has to know...!"

........................................................................

"Ready or not, here I come!"
The little bunny opened her eyes, looking around the park for her hiding friend. "I'm gonna find you...!" She sang.

A soft giggle directed her towards the bushes, but as she ran over and peeked behind them, there was nobody. "I'm gonna get you!" She called.

"You have to find me first, Cream!"
The voice came from all directions, but Cream knew where her friend was really hiding.
She dashed over to the slide, peeking under it. "Boo!"

The teenage rabbit underneath giggled, only partially visible to her friend. "You always find me, Creampuff!" She announced, using her nickname for the little bunny.

"You make it too easy! Do a hard one!"

"You mean like...behind the climbing wall?"

"Don't tell me!" Cream pouted, "Come on, Stream!"

Cream's imaginary friend might've been older than her, but she acted like an older sister that nobody else knew existed. She'd been by Cream's side for as long as Cream could remember, guiding and playing with her.

However, most kids Cream's age had abandoned their imaginary friends. Cream had tried to tell herself that Stream wasn't real, but the girl still appeared.

Cream sat down in the sand next to Stream. "Stream...are you a real person?"

Stream smiled, leaning closer. "...How real do you want me to be, Cream?"

"That's not an answer!" Cream sighed. "Are you really here, or am I just imagining you?"

Stream blinked. "The truth is, Cream...I'm only as real as you make me. I'd be just fine being your imaginary friend...but if you truly want me real...you have to believe it deep in your heart."

Cream didn't completely understand, but she gasped as Stream started to fade. "N-No! I don't want you to leave!"

Stream placed her hands on Cream's cheeks. "I can't stay like this for long, but I can never leave you completely, Cream...Listen to me, there is more than you'd ever understand. I'll always be here, I swear it...!"

Tears slipped down Cream's cheeks, but she closed her eyes with a nod. "Please...! Stay with me..."

Go to the fountain... Stream whispered, then faded from view.

Cream got up, rushing to the fountain in the middle of the park, gushing with the clear, cool water. She looked into the water, seeing Stream instead of her own reflection. "Stream!"

I am trapped to the reflection of surfaces, Cream...but you'll always hear me if you ever need my help. Okay? I will never leave you...

Cream sniffled. "Okay..."

"Cream?" Cream's mother came towards her. "What's wrong, sweetie?"

"N-Nothing, mamma...I just thought I'd lost something..."