Alliances and Breakups

"This whole thing sounds stupid."

"I don't like having somebody else in my head either." Shadow replied. "But as I've seen with- Wind, get down!"

The hedgehog in question was hovering very close to the ceiling, and he looked down at his teammate curiously. "Why?"

"Because as funny as it was last time... last time you were up high, your powers let go and you fell on your face."

Wind groaned and Jet snickered as he imagined that moment. "Fine...!"

"So...you say I've got powers?" Jet inquired.

"Yes. Over sound itself." Wind explained. "Hence your very loud vocals as of recently."

"Sound... And you say there's twenty of us?"

"Yup. Four for each season, plus four holidays. The Obsidians are out to kill us because Chaos' wife married him instead of the Obsidians' master, Lord Dominus."

"Chaos is married...!?" Wave asked.

"Yeah...it's confusing."

"How many have we found already?"

"Nine, including you."

"Well if I'm gonna help you losers find the others, I'd better not get bossed around by you two. Got it!?"

"We'll do our best not to be bossy, Jet." Shadow replied. "So, you in?"

Jet nodded, shaking Shadow's hand hard. "You've got a deal."
______________________________________

"What do you mean, 'I can't solve stuff on my own!?'"

Espio rolled his eyes. "You're the face of the agency, Vector, but the only reason you've ever solved a case is because Charmy- excuse me, Daylight... and I helped you."

"You think you're just that good, huh? Well Charmy's moved onto another pasture, so you don't have your assistance either!"

"I'd like you to try to actually solve a case on your own, Vector. Without anyone's help. See how that goes. All you do is sit behind the desk playing Sherlock."

Vector's face was suddenly in Espio's, but the chameleon didn't react. "What's that supposed to mean!?"

"It means I'm taking an extended vacation from detective work." Espio grabbed his coat. "I'll be back...eventually."

"Where are you going!?"

Espio shivered as a cold breeze blew into the building. "Someplace warmer...!"

He walked out into the evening, watching as a snowflake fell onto his hand. "Hmm..." He pulled out his phone, dialing a number.

...Nnn...yes...?

"Hi, darling. Sorry to wake you."

Espio...you know it's 2 AM over here... What is it?

"I've decided to take a few weeks off. I'm coming home."

No kidding!? That's great! I've been meaning to talk to you about something.

"Not something to discuss over the phone?"

I'm afraid not... I'll see you soon, babe.

"Same here. Bye darling." Espio hung up the phone, then looked back at the agency before heading down the street.
______________________________________

"Rouge!" Silver called from the bathroom, his tone panicked. "Rouge, help me!"

Rouge winced. If it had been a girl in the bathroom, she would've walked right in, but...
"What's the matter, Silver?"

There was no response. "Silver, are you okay in there?" Still nothing.

Rouge touched the handle, wincing as it felt freezing cold. She tried to push it open, but it wouldn't budge. "What's blocking it!?"
Suddenly ice crept up from under the door and up the door, pausing just above the frame.
"Ice...?" She turned as she heard voices outside the house. "Just hang tight, Silver. I think I hear Shadow coming up."

She went to the door, relieved when Shadow entered. "Oh good, you're back...!"

Shadow crossed his arms. "What did the boys break this time...?"

"Actually, I need you to help me get Silver out of the bathroom. He was calling for help then the door froze over and he's not answering!"

"Froze...?" Shadow went to the door. "Silver? You okay?" There was still no answer. "Silver, if you can hear me, keep away from the door."
He placed his hands on the ice, feeling the ice melt under his hands and finally he was able to shove the door open.
"Silver!"

The teenager was standing inside a jagged piece of ice, his eyes tightly shut in a wincing expression. Spikes of ice jutted out in several directions, and the ice spreaded all the way to the door.

"Hold on, Silver!" Shadow walked towards him, his feet melting through the ice before he placed his hands on the ice closest to Silver's face. The ice dripped away like wax, and Silver gave a hard gasp as his face was freed from the ice.

"Silver!" Rouge flew over to him. "Are you okay...!?"

"Nnn...No...! I almost suffocated in there...!" He collapsed into Shadow's arms as the rest of him was freed. "Sorry..."

"It's okay...what happened, anyway?"

"GOSH DANGIT, ICE!!"
Autumn barked from the doorway. "You nearly killed him!"

Silver looked up at him. "What...?"

Shadow shook his head. "Looks like we've got another Amethyst in the house..."

"That identifies half of us..." Autumn replied. "Rouge is next, no doubt."

Rouge smirked. "I wonder what powers I'll get..."

The little family hugged, though knowing that with three Amethysts in one location, it would make them more likely to be attacked...and also stronger against those attacks.