Something Good...?

When Shadow and Rouge came into the house, they found both boys on the couch, Silver cradling Autumn close to him as he choked back sobs.

"What happened...!?" Rouge asked, rushing over to them. "Silver, what's wrong?"

"The Obsidians tried to control Autumn... I had to knock him out, but...he's been like this for hours...!" Silver whimpered, putting a hand over his mouth as tears spilled down his cheeks. "Oh Chaos, what have I done...!?"

"Oh Silver...!" Shadow took Autumn into his own arms as Rouge pulled Silver into a hug. "It's not your fault, sweetie...It'll be okay...!"

"I told him I cared about him and then...I'm so sorry...!" Silver shook in her arms, gripping her shirt as he cried.

"I think the stress is finally getting to everybody." Shadow murmured. "So much bad happening right now... Please let something good come out of this...!"

Pain is part of life...but this is too much. Thaw replied. I...I would understand if you don't wish to continue.

Thaw...Even we stop, the Obsidians won't... We have to fight.

Shadow stroked Autumn's quills. "We can't give up..."

Silver shook his head, looking up. "No...we can't...but what do we do...?"

"...I'm not sure."
______________________________________

The remnants of an immense battle laid burnt and slashed on the ground. Broken columns, flickering patches of burning grass and tapestries littered the courtyard, and dozens of bodies laid still, never to rise again.

Two of them were the king and queen, the king lying with his wife in his arms tightly and tears in his eyes. His last words had been "The fire shall never be snuffed out."

If only the Obsidian had known what he meant. For up in the tower, hidden from the battle but able to hear every word, was the princess.

She sat on her bed, staring blankly at the wall.
Her family was gone, her kingdom in ruin, her heart in pieces...but she dared not cry. To cry showed weakness, and she must be strong.

"I will rebuild...I...I just...I just need to find somebody to help me..."
She'd been saying this for hours, but it did nothing to convince herself of it.

A small light caught her attention, and she finally looked away from the wall to focus on it.
A little yellow orb floated in front of her, slowly taking the form of her mother. Was it her ghost?
"...Mother?"

I wish that were so, Blaze...but I'm afraid I am but a portion of her... An embodiment of her power...

"Oh...What do you want? Aren't you going to travel back to the depths of the eternal flame?"

No...I am going to stay with you... Forever, until you yourself die. Your mother's power will become your power, and you'll always have part of her... In your heart, her and your father.

"Those soldiers... They killed them for my mother's power... Why...!?"

The Obsidians are foul creatures... But there is hope. Come with me, Blaze... I will help you take them down, so they can never do this to anyone else.

Blaze hesitated, then reached out towards the light, and felt it's deep warmth seep into her body. Her teary eyes dried, and she stood up. "Where do we go, fire spirit...?"

Away from here... To where your allies are...

Blaze closed her eyes and nodded. "Lead the way..."
______________________________________

Silver looked after Autumn until he woke up, and the younger hedgehog's eyes fluttered open. "Autumn...!?"

Autumn sat up slowly, then looked to Silver and was suddenly hugging him tightly. "Silver! I was so scared, I...I thought I'd never see you again!"

"I was scared too, Autumn... Scared that I'd hurt you and you'd never forgive me...!"

"I could always forgive you, Silver... You've shown me what having a brother is like...!"

"Autumn?" Rouge came out of the back and gave a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank Chaos! You're alright...!"

"I am now...!" Autumn answered. "I...I didn't hurt anybody, did I?"

"No. You just scared us a little..."

"I...I know where it is."

"Where what is?" Silver asked.

"The Nest... I saw it... I know where it is! We could go there! We could be safe!"

Silver smiled. "Safe... I'll tell the others. Where is it, exactly...?"