Meanwhile...

A few days passed, and there wasn't a single Amethyst manifestation or Obsidian attack.

However, Shadow and Rouge were married in a quiet ceremony, and the others were all there to bid them farewell as they left on their honeymoon.
They hoped no attacks happened during their absence, to them or those left behind.

Wind offered to take Silver and Autumn in while they were gone, which in theory was a good plan. In practice...

Silver was still trying to figure out how to use his ice powers again, though it seemed his partner was not cooperating, and Autumn's boundless energy proved to be an exhausting matter to deal with.

This was the scene when Tails arrived. Silver more or less occupied, Autumn running around asking question after question, and Wind sitting on the stairs, his head in his hands.

"...wow." He stepped over, taking a seat by Wind. "Rough day?"

"I thought I could handle it...but it's only been two hours and I'm already losing my mind...!"

"I've got an idea." Tails stood up. "Hey Autumn! You ever flown in an airplane before?"

Autumn paused. "No...Why?"

"Oh, I was just thinking of going out for a flight and wanted to know if the three if you would like to come."

"Coolio!" Autumn ran over. "To be able to fly without tiring yourself out...!"

"Exactly! Wanna come too, Silver?"

Silver shrugged. "Sure, why not?"

Wind gave him a grateful look, then the four walked out towards Tails' workshop down the street. "Thank you, Tails...but how'd you know he'd go for it?"

Tails shrugged. "Kids love planes."
______________________________________

Espio had barely reached the door of his destination when it opened and he was met with a familiar face. "Sorry I was late getting here. I'd forgotten how bad the traffic is around here."

"Espio...!" His girlfriend hugged him tightly. "I missed you like you'd never believe!"

"It's okay, Shade. I'm here now."

Shade nodded. "Yeah...You're upset about something..."

"What makes you say that?"

"I can feel it... That's what I wanted to talk about. I can...feel the emotions of others around me."

"Empathy?"

"Yeah...Empathy." She closed her eyes. "You're stressed because... Vector doesn't appreciate your talents, and Charmy isn't there to help you cope."

"...wow. You're not kidding."

"No. And I can't shut it off."
Espio stepped into the house. "It was just the occasional sensing of someone's emotions, but then I started inflicting feelings on people. I'm not just feeling, I'm accidentally telling them how to feel."

"Can you give a demonstration?"

"Not on you! But I was on the bus the other day, and this guy was yelling at someone on the phone. I looked at him, and he suddenly went from raging to complimenting the guy. I'm sure people all over town think they're bipolar now."

"Shade, relax. We'll figure this thing out. You and I will just have to find out what's causing these surges."

Shade nodded, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Espio...I'm just a little stressed."

"Well then why don't you inflict some good feelings on yourself?"

Shade glared, then closed her eyes to see if she could actually do it. It felt like a wave washed over her, and she immediately felt calmer. "Wow...it works."

"See?"

Shade nodded. "Okay, where do we start?"
______________________________________

"That'll be 6.46, kid."

The teenager dug into the pockets of his tattered jeans, trying to pull up the money. Collecting lost change off the street didn't produce a whole lot. He pulled out the coins, counting them up in his palm.

He finally pulled exactly 6.46 out of his pockets, now empty of anything. "Here, sir."

The cashier took the coins then slid the bag across the counter. The teen took the bag then hurried outside and down the street.

He slipped through a tunnel and into an alleyway, where a little squirrel sat shivering in the cold. "I'm back."

The squirrel looked up, giving a smile. "D-Did you get anything?"

The teen pulled out some grapes and cheese. "It's not much, but-"

The squirrel took some cheese, biting into it ravenously. "It's not m-moldy this time. I don't mind."

The older boy sat down next to him. "Don't worry, Ray. We'll find somewhere soon. Then I can get a job and we can live in a real house, and we can get you into school."

Ray grinned. "Y-You think so, Mighty?"

"I do..."

Ray's smile faded as he shivered. "...I'm cold."

Mighty pulled him closer, and could swear he saw a flake of snow fall past his nose. "It'll be okay, Ray...I'd die before I let anything happen to you..."