Merging...?

"So you remember what happened to you, what made you lose your memory?"

Autumn bounced up and down. "Yes! I was captured by some creepy scientists in Soleanna. They were trying to unlock the secrets of my power when I suddenly started forging a body. But the tests they were currently running effected my morphing, so when I was finished, I'd forgotten who I was...what I was...But I'm good now!"

Sonic smirked. He knows he's a super-powerful entity, yet keeps the childish innocence and personality.

Most of the Obsidians are like that. Their childish behaviour will supposedly make us go easy on them. Wind responded.

Autumn's bouncing paused. "I remember all the stuff from before...you know."

"The previous keepers got wiped out. Yeah." Shadow replied. "What kind of stuff?"

"The villages we lived nearby, certain locations we used as a rendezvous...Oh My Crystals! The Nest!"

"Nest?" Sonic raised an eyebrow. Nest, Wind?

It was a safehouse for when things got bad. Never had a chance to use it, though...

Autumn started his hopping again. "It's a giant floating building hovering in the sky. Too high to get to on foot, but also invisible to anyone but us...!"

"Do you think you could find it, Autumn?" Amy asked.

Autumn shrugged. "I could try, but it would take a long time. It could be anywhere! The only sure way to find it is for all twenty Amethysts to combine their powers and summon it."

"At this rate, it'll be months before you find all twenty Amethysts!" Amy sighed. "I'm having a hard time believing of this is your fight."

"What's the problem, Ames?" Sonic asked. "I've been fighting off enemies for years! Why are you so against this?"

"At least with Eggman, I could watch the news and know where you are! These days I have no clue where you are or if you're fighting off these creeps. The police have no clue about your fights!"
She sat down. "I feel like one of those wives that say goodbye to their husbands when they leave for war, and they have no idea if they'll ever come back...!"

"Oh, Amy..." Sonic sat down next to her taking her hand. "...I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were wanting to know. I guess you're right, I'm not used to having to tell you where I'm going..."

"Just...call me once in a while, OK? Let me know you're alright."

Sonic hugged her, something he'd been doing more often recently. "Sure, Ames...I promise."

"Now that that's been resolved, we need to talk about our other issue." Shadow stood up. "...if merging with our Amethysts is a good idea."

"What?" Amy looked to Sonic. "Merging?"

"Yeah... When we merge, our memories, powers and thoughts become one...but from what I've seen of Daylight and Charmy...It's like they become an entirely different person."

"Not us, not them...but someone else."

Amy looked concerned. "I'd lose you if you do that! This time, permanently...I don't know how I feel about that."

I've never merged before anyway... Wind murmured. Though I suppose nobody likes the idea of losing themselves...

Sonic sighed. Are you the only one to never merge?

No...Spring, Harvest and North never did either.

Sonic closed his eyes. "Ames...I'm still making a decision."

Shadow nodded. "For those of us not in a relationship, it would be easier. But when you have a loved one...a fiance...you worry about how they'll handle having an entirely different person in our bodies."

Amy smiled a little. "Well, at least I'd always know who it was in there."

"I told you, Ames, Wind wouldn't kiss you."

"I'm already merged," Autumn said. "But Charge, Leaf and Stream...I don't know what you guys think."

Knuckles and Tikal sat on the couch, having not said a word this whole time. "Well... If both of us merge, then it wouldn't be that different, would it?" Knuckles asked.

"And I'd like to be able to use my powers without Leaf doing it herself..." They squeezed each other's hands. "...I think we should do it."

"I still have a lot to explain to my mother." Cream answered. "She doesn't fully understand this yet."

Sonic closed his eyes. "If I merge...I'll be losing myself... But it might be the only way to defeat Dominus..."

He looked up as Tikal's chest glowed, then her eyes glowed orange as she lifted up off the ground. Orange strands of light wrapped around her, then it faded and Tikal fell onto her knees.

"Did it work...?" Amy asked.

The echidna lifted her head, her eyes orange like Autumn's as she smiled. "Yes...! It's so strange...I have two sets of memories...but there's a gap..."

Knuckles helped her up. "So you're Leaf, huh?"

She nodded. "I am energy and form melded...!" She pulled him into a kiss, her wings appearing like ghostly flower petals. She pulled away, clearing her throat. "Ahem!...Sorry."

Knuckles smirked. "That...was actually kinda kinda nice."

Sonic rolled his eyes. "Here we go...!"