A Rivalry Starts

While they didn't have any new manifestations, it allowed Shadow to hone his new powers, and transform into his winged persona.

His uniform was similar to Sonic's, only light green and having a vest rather than a jacket. His wings were black and feathered, and just like Sonic, he took to the skies quickly.

Two weeks passed since the attack on Shadow's home, and so far there had been no more Obsidian sightings.
Both hedgehogs stood on the top of Sentry Tower, the highest point in the city, watching the world go by below them.

"So quiet...you think they're planning something?"

"Besides our demise?" Sonic groaned. "I hate this waiting. More could be manifesting across the world and we might not even know it."

Patience, Sonic... Wind warned. You'll get your thirst for battle quenched soon.

"It's not that I like to fight," Sonic rubbed his arms. "It's just...that's been my life purpose for so long..."

"You started taking out Eggman's robots at eight, right?" Shadow asked.

"Yeah. It started out small, but then as I got bigger, so did the 'bots. I've been defending from evil so long, I...I don't know if I'd keep my sanity if it all ended."

"Well, there will always be trouble, Sonic. The world will always need a hero."
Suddenly Sonic caught something on the wind, and his ears pricked. "What is it?"

Sonic closed his eyes to focus. With his power over wind, he'd found his hearing was enhanced, allowing him to hear sounds from miles away if he needed to. "...Speaking of Eggman, he's coming down 34th in a tank."

"Duty calls, then."

Both hedgehogs jumped from the roof, diving down towards the streets. Two weeks ago, they'd just been allies. Now, they were a team.

As soon as they landed, their wings vanished as they powered down. "Alright. I'll keep him distracted while you melt that sucker!"

"Sounds like a plan."

Sonic nodded, then dashed ahead of him. "Hey Egghead! Where'd you find this heap, the scrapyard!?" He taunted.

"You won't be so smug after I plow you over, hedgehog!"

Sonic spin-dashed into the tank, bouncing off and finding he hasn't even made a dent. "Nice hardware! But I'll get through to you eventually!"

He hopped up on the barrel of the tank, crossing his arms. "Tanks might be durable, but they're also slow!"

He gasped as an arrow flew by his head, and he turned to face two Obsidian archers. "Seriously fate...!?" He hissed.

"Your head is ours, Wind!" One barked.

"Hey! I call dibs on his head!" Eggman shouted. He jerked the barrel, making Sonic tumble off.

"Wha-oh!" He fell onto the pavement, then yelped as something fired out of the barrel, a gooey substance that stuck his feet to the road. "Ah!"
He tried to pull his feet out, but only lost his balance and got his hands and the side of his head stuck. "N-No!"

We're trapped! Wind cried. Sonic, you're a sitting hog out here!

"Perfect!" The archers grinned. "Standing targets are always the easiest to hit!"

Eggman growled. "Not if I crush him first!"

"You will not keep us from our target!"

"Watch me!"

As the two villains broke into a fight against each other, Sonic tried to get loose. "Ah...! I can't get loose!"

"Don't use up all your strength." Shadow dashed over and held out his hands, heating up the glue until Sonic was able to pull himself free.

"Eww...I'm gonna need a shower later." Sonic picked some out of his quills. "Let's take these guys down while they're distracted."

Sonic dashed forward, kicking both archers down to the ground. "Don't forget about us!"
He ran around them, forming a vacuum before slamming down on them, and they vanished.

He heard Eggman scream, and turned to see Shadow had melted the barrel shut and pulled the hatch cover clear off the hinges.
Eggman flew off in a hurry, and Sonic hopped up next to Shadow. "Thanks for the save, Faker."

"Right. Now go get cleaned up, would you? You're stinking it up!"

Sonic grinned, then took off into the city.

................................................................

"Two down, eighteen to go, Queen Hope."

Queen Hope nodded, turning away from her viewing orb. The order is not the same as last... I sense a member of the holidays will emerge next...once all five divisions have one active, things will be easier for our heroes..."

She turned to the fireplace, where two shapes laid asleep on the floor, warmed by the blaze. "Don't worry, my darlings. This war will end soon, then you can finally leave the castle and explore the world." She whispered.

Her daughter opened her eyes. "I miss Papa..."

The queen smiled sadly, "I know. I miss him too... but we'll see him again...someday."

"He told us the greatest stories... do you think he's okay?"

"Yes. I think so. Now get to sleep, Nixie."
As her daughter closed her eyes again, the queen looked back at her viewing orb. Its murky interior cleared, exposing a floating land mass, and she caressed the orb. "Soon..."

................................................................

"Psst...Vector?"
Charmy poked the croc's shoulder. "Vector?"

The croc groaned as he stirred, opening one eye to glare at the bee. "What. Charmy?" He hissed.

"I can't sleep."

Vector sighed. "Sorry kid, I don't know what to tell you. Go back to bed."

Charmy stamped a foot on the floor in frustration as the reptile rolled over, then wandered back to his room. The tiny corner of their building was crowded with boxes, since it was also the storage closet.

Charmy plopped onto the bed, crossing his arms as he stared at the clock on the wall, which read 2:53 AM. "I don't want to go back to sleep, I'm wide awake!" He sighed. "If only it was morning...!"

Suddenly the clock's arms started to move faster. And faster. Charmy watched as the sky outside rapidly moved then shifted to a rising sun before coming to a stop. "Whoa...!" He scrambled from his room. "Wake up, its morning!"

"Charmy, it is not-" Vector paused as he looked out his window. "What the heck...!? How'd you do that?"

Charmy just shrugged. "I'm gonna go eat."

Vector just stared at the bee. "...We're doomed."