Chapter Twenty One: Bad News

Back in my room we're all gathered. But still, old friends, new friends, separate. I let out a sigh and focus my attention back to the video game in front of me. I slice off another zombies head and the screen flashes I won.

"How do you continue to win?!", Greg whines.

"You just suck sweetie!", Nikki chimes.

We laugh and I set down my controller. I join my old friends on my bed and they all hush.

"What were you guys talking about?"

"Nothing.", they say in unison.

"Okay now I really want to know. Tell me."

"Aria... We didn't really just come down here to visit."

"Okay? Then what was the other reason?"

"It's... Your mom. She's sick and in the hospital."

"What?! No!!", my eyes well up and i bite my lip to keep me from crying.

"We should've told you earlier. We're sorry."

"What's wrong with her?"

"They say she has leukemia, a type of blood cancer."

"Ca-cancer?"

"I'm sorry Aria.", Danny pulls me into a hug that turns into a group hug.

"I'll be back guys."

I stand up and walk away just as the tears begin to fall. I look around to make sure no one notices I'm crying but of course Mason sees. I walk out before anyone can see me and head to my new special place.

    My mom has cancer, and I don't know. I have to go, but we don't have a break for then next three weeks. I could have my friends cover for me and say I'm sick and have to stay in my room and miss class. That could work.

    Content with my idea I head back to my room to pack. No one pays much attention to me as they're still on separate sides of the room. I pack a variety of clothes to last me two to three days, I can't stay long before the school comes in to check on me.

     I pack my friends things so we can leave as soon as possible. Looking at the clock it reads 5:00PM. I book a flight for us that takes off at 7 giving us two hours to say goodbye and get to the airport.

    I walk back into the room and go to the group of my old friends to tell them the plans. The look of shocks fades quickly and understanding shows through.

    "I already packed your things. I'm just going to tell them the plans and say goodbye and we can head to the airport."

    "I'll call a cab", Danny says and pulls out her phone.

    I walk over to the others and tell them everything. They agree to go along with the plan.

    "I'll see you guys soon."

    "I'm going to miss you!", Lizzi whines throwing her arms around my neck.

    "I'll miss you too."

    We all share a group hug and I go back to grab my bags. Mason and Greg help us all carry our things down to the cab. With everyone in the car and our things in the back I turn to Mason.

    "Well I'll see you in a few days."

    "See you. Be strong.", he kisses me on the cheek and walks back to the dorm with Greg.

    I climb in the cab and look out the window. I wonder what's it's like back home, besides my mom having... Well being sick. I wonder if anything has changed. Liam wraps an arm around my shoulders and I lean my head on his shoulder.

    Sometimes talking isn't what you need, but someone just showing you there is good enough.

_____________________________

I'm back!! My internet has been down, sorry guys.

So what do you think is going to happen next?

How are your short stories coming along? I'm super excited to read them!! Don't forget they are due December 23!!

TATA lovelies!