6. || colorize

Too lazy to make your covers match? Then this is the chapter for you.

So, many of you all might have heard of the app called Polarr, which is not only amazing, but literally life saving. It's free on the app store and it has so many options on it to fix up your photo, so I very highly recommend it (not only for this tutorial, but just in general as well)

I'm going to show you guys how to colorize like the covers above, but there are so many other combinations you guys can create as well. For this colorization, it's best if the covers are a little darker to begin with, but you can easily brighten the photo as you please. With that, let's begin.

So since some of you will be new to Polarr, I'll go with the basics on how to use it. When you first open the app, you have to turn it sideways to start off with. It should give you a tutorial in the first place too, but just in case, all you really need to know as of now is that the last two buttons in the top left corner are your best friends. The second to last is to upload the photo you want into the app, and the last is to save it when you're done. Boom, easy.

Now for the harder stuff. The first button in the top left corner is for other filters and things that are already made for you, but I never use them. You can swipe across the side panel to see all of these filters, but all I ever use is the "Custom" part to it. After you're done adjusting the measurements and things you want, you can save the filter by pressing "Create New" on that tab. Then you can add a name and stuff like that, but it's very very handy.

Now, there's much more to Polarr, but the rest you need to know is that on the right side of the screen is another panel, which reads things like "color", "light", "detail", ect. These are also your best friends. If you click on one of these, another little thing will pop down and you can see that you can select other options like "temp" or "tint". To adjust these, you click on the one you want, then a little number thing will appear beside it. To move it up and down, you drag your finger in the direction you want. Pretty simple.

That is all you'll need to know for this, so I'll stop there. Now let's get to the fun part.

i. open your photo in the app

ii. put the following numbers in to get the colorized style above

Color

temp 7

tint -13

vibrance 57

saturation 0

Light

exposure 44

contrast 57

Optics

feather 50

highlights 50

HSL

Red -55, 23, -89

Magenta -64, -78, -100

Orange 0, -35, 0

Purple 100, 0, 0

Yellow -6, 87, 0

Blue -59, 85, 0

Green -43, 92, 0

Aqua 0, 37, 0

Curves

RGB adjust to what looks best if needed

iii. Go to the custom tab on filters and press "Create New" and save the filter you created!

Okay so sounds simple enough, right? Good grief I hope so because that took forever to type out wow. But guys, you can create whatever filter you'd like. That's the fun part about it! As always, comment if you need help or would like to request something, I'd love to help!

Do you guys think I should do more Polarr filters or no?