Captured To Become A Vampire Prince's Bride [17]

It didn't take long for Henrietta to start complaining about Alexander choosing a human to marry and how we're weak, useless and pitiful. It felt like it was mostly a personal attack; her frequent glares and gestures in my direction especially indicated she was displeased by my presence here. All in all, she was beginning to irritate me, and I, being the person not knowing when to keep their mouth shut at the worst times, decided to do something about it. I decided to show her that we weren't as weak or at pitiful as she was making us sound.

"Excuse me." I tapped her on the shoulder, she had taken my place on the bed beside the King. She snapped her head to face my direction almost instantly, maybe before I had even reached her.

"What?" She snarled, her fangs seemed to be even more pointy than Alexander's.

"I don't appreciate you bad-mouthing us humans. Just because we're not like you, doesn't mean you're better. You vampires came from us humans. If you could show some respect, I'd appreciate it. So far, you've been pretty rude, and annoying with all of your complaining and whining. You didn't even ask your ill father how he was doing. Look at him, just laying there, having to listen to your complaining, helplessly, not saying anything because you're his daughter and he doesn't want to be rude." I could see both the King and Alexander shaking their heads, warning me not to carry on my rant, and when I looked back to Henrietta, she looked like a cat, ready to make its pounce on Its prey. It was then I realised I may have made a grave mistake.

"Well, well, well, I see you have a lot of courage tucked away in that feeble body of yours, eh, human? Do you think you can talk to me like that, and get away with it?" Her famous devious smirk slid onto her face as her eyes darkened, "poor you, you have no idea what you've done. Human or not, I'm going to teach you some manners." She stood up from the bed and raised her fist which was raised and ready to swing, that was until Alexander refrained her from doing so.

"That's enough." Alexander was quick to get in between us before Henrietta pummelled me into dust.

Henrietta snatched her fist out of Alexander's grasp and glared at us both, "Whatever." She rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to her father who looked very entertained by the situation. He looked more lifelike than he did when we first entered.

"We should go- give those two some time together. It's been a while since they've seen each other." Alexander hurried me out of the King's room leaving him and Henrietta behind, "What the hell is wrong with you?" He scolded as we got further down the hallway.

"What?"

Alex pulled a face as if to ask if I was crazy, "What do mean what?" He exclaimed, his voice cracking on "what".

I cracked up, "I didn't mean to say so much."

Alexander looked away from me blushing, "well, she's not going to leave you in peace now."

"She wasn't giving me peace in the first place." I shrugged, still rather amused. I was never going to let that go.

The time was 16:10 and I needed something to do, but what? The days felt longer and longer the more time I spent here, now I was quite used to being here having let go of my past and accepting this as my home.

"Alex, I'm bored," I said out of the blue after walking for a few minutes. I didn't know if I was being taken somewhere within the castle, but I wanted to go out and do something exciting.

He grinned at me. "Did you just call me Alex?"

This time it was my turn to be embarrassed, "well we're more than acquaintances now. I-I thought- with Alexander being so long to say, Alex would be better. I just-"

"God, you're cute." He laughed and began to lead me in the opposite direction to the one we came in, "what do you want to do?"

Wait. Did he call me cute? No, I clearly misheard what he said.

"I want to see some animals."

"Alright then. Just us or..." he trailed off.

"Just us. It'd be a lot of effort to round everyone up now. This place is too big."

He chuckled, "you know I can just call them right?"

I shrugged dismissively and followed Alexander to the entrance, where we went down the long, winding trail that led in two directions, the exit, and the garage. We turned left and went on the 2 to 3-minute walk to the garage to get a car. Alex had offered to take me to a zoo.

On the journey that Alexander informed me would be at 45-minutes long, I decided I should bring Henrietta back into the subject. I was extremely curious to hear about what she was really like. And who better to hear it from than her own, little brother?

"What would she have done to me if you didn't step in?" I questioned.

He didn't answer for a while, although I was definite that he had heard me, it wasn't as if the music was playing loud or the windows were open, he was right beside me. Maybe he was thinking of an answer. His eyes began to lighten to that of a turquoise colour. I stared at him, still ridiculed over the whole thing, I still couldn't believe it. Unable to understand how it worked.

Alex had an amused smile on him as he kept his eyes glued ahead of him on the road. There was nothing but two lanes of concrete road and dense amounts of trees on either side of us. "Still amazes you, does it?"

"Can you feel it?"

He nodded, "It doesn't feel like an itch but, you know when water passes over your hands slowly? Yeah, it feels like that."

Of course from him, it sounded normal as he was accustomed to it, it sounded like it would be a strangely uncomfortable sensation.

"Oh."

"Don't worry," he smiled wider, "your eyes will be doing it too, soon."

Soon? How soon was he implying? He never spoke much about the process of being turned into a vampire. There were lots of ways I had seen it been done, but they were fictional, maybe they did it different in Nox Aterrima.

I wasn't going to be the one to place the idea on the table for fear that it could appear that I was implying that I wanted it done so soon. I figured it would have to happen eventually, but at that moment I was content with being human.