Captured To Become A Vampire Prince's Bride [47]

It was early afternoon, and I had been sitting on the staircase facing the main entrance for no longer than an hour, anticipating the arrival of Mr and Mrs Maldivo. Leandra and Charlotte went to go and pick them up, they promised they wouldn't be long, yet it felt like ages.

I was bored, but I wanted nothing more than to see Mr and Mrs Maldivo; Alexander was busy with work in his study and I didn't want to disturb him. I didn't want to hang out with Jayden, and Leyton was out in the town collecting some items for Alexander, and I didn't feel like hanging out with any of Alexander's family.

At last, the door opened, Charlotte entered and then Leandra. I eagerly stood up to see over them and down the stairs that led up to the door, I could see them! I could see the Maldivo's. I felt the excitement build up inside of me before I rushed down the stairs, past Leandra and Charlotte.

"Call Aria- oh, you're already here. They're-" I had already passed Charlotte before she could finish talking.

I flung my arms around the pair. Neither of us said anything until I stopped hugging them and just stared, grinning. I was euphoric, I hadn't felt so happy for a long time.

"Look at you, all grown up. I can't believe it." Mrs Maldivo said as she smiled back.

"You guys can all reminisce and be all lovey-dovey inside." Leandra held out her arm in the direction of the hallway.

We took off in the direction of one of the sitting rooms that I had never been in before, surprisingly. There were four red velvet sofas in a square shape surrounding a glass coffee table that was decorated with a vase of some sort of light blue flowers and some candles. The walls were decorated with portraits of people who I assumed to be in Alexander's family; they all had either red or purple eyes.

The room had a warm feel to it, although there were no windows and only one entrance, the room feels spacious and uncramped.

I sat and caught up with what was happening back at home with the Maldivo's, apparently nothing much. I wanted to ask about my parents deep down, see how they were doing, but honestly, I didn't want to think about them. It was highly unlikely I had even passed through their thoughts. I was nothing to them and now they were nothing to me.

"Arianne, you fetch Alexander in his study, I'll go get snacks from the kitchen, Charlotte you wait here."

I sighed and did as Leandra said, and went upstairs, down the hallway, and made a left to Alexander's study's door. I knock three times before waiting. A grunting sound escaped from the study.

"It's me," I called.

There was a bit of rustling and muttering before the door was opened by a maid. I peered in at Alexander who looked as if he had had his face buried in the stacks of paper, sleeping. His hair was sticking up in all directions at the front, obvious signs of him having his head down, not doing the work he said he was.

"I did actually do some work, I swear. I looked at the other two piles and I just... decided I should take a break from the hard work I'm doing." Alexander admitted sheepishly as he sorted his hair out. "How can I help you?"

"Selena's parents are here." I took notice of the stacks of work beside Alexander and thought about what I just said. He could greet them later, there was no rush, he was busy and they weren't. "On second thought-"

"Any excuse I can get to leave this work is ok with me. I want to meet them anyway, well, I need to. Let me finish off these last few sheets, and I'll walk down with you."

I agreed and waited a short ten minutes to complete his work and then we headed back to the Maldivo's.

"Francine, Mark-" those were their names, "this is Alexander."

The pair stood up calmly to shake Alexander's hand.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you both. I hope your journey with Charlotte and Leandra was pleasant, and I hope your stay here will be the same. Anything you need, there'll be a maid outside of your room at all times." Said Alexander smoothly as he sat down beside me on the sofa.

"I'd just like to say, before we start, thank you. Thank you so much for inviting us here, letting us attend your wedding, and letting us see Arianne." Francine said, it looked like she was going to cry again, but she held composure.

"It's fine, I've done enough damage to her life, I thought I should try and make it up to her," Alexander answered. He was acting strange, there was no sense of emotion in his voice, or on his face.

"She's better here. I can see it, she looks so much happier than she did when she was living with her parents."

Alex nodded. "Before you start asking questions, mind if I talk to Arianne privately?"

The Maldivo's flashed each other confused looks, looked at me searching for any problems, but I was in the same boat as them. I had no idea what was happening but I guess I'd find out. I gave them a smile of reassurance before Alexander tugged me by the arm a little to get me moving.

Outside the room Alexander was muttering things under his breath, pacing back and forth and keeping his head down. He looked troubled, and he was making me uncomfortable and nervous.

"Alexander, what are you playing at? We haven't sat down for five minutes and you're already pulling me out? I thought you said you wanted to meet them. If you didn't you didn't have to come!" I snapped in an annoyed tone.

"They've spoken to Austin, they probably told him everything, and probably will tell him everything after this. I can smell him on them, and his scent is strong so it was either today or yesterday. I'm going to have them put under surveillance."

"So what if they've spoken to him. And why surveillance? What are they going to do? Kill us in our sleep?" I questioned.

He sighed. "Listen, there are things I haven't told you about, things you don't need to know about. What you need to know is that Austin, his family, or his people cannot get anywhere near them. He may have made some kind of deal with them if they bring something back that's important. I don't want him to have them. Do you understand? They're important to me and my family."

"I understand Alex." I sighed, trying to piece together my sentence in a way where it'd make sense. Stupidly, I didn't know what I was going to say in the first place. "You can tell me."

"No," he answered sharply. When he noticed the alarm in my expression, his face softened. "Another time maybe. Just not now."

Of course, he had things he hadn't told me, I had things I hadn't told him, that he doesn't need to know about. Everyone had their secrets, whether you're some vampire prince or the daughter of two drunkards. My secrets were most likely nothing compared to what Alexander's were. But those two, Alexander and Austin, two princes who both acted so strangely towards each other. Even though Austin's family are the ones who got Alex's mom assassinated, Alexander doesn't try to kill Austin whenever he sees him, they never actually fight or anything like that. Yet Austin's family wants to ruin Alexander's and take everything they own. I've seen more disputes and fights between Jayden and Alexander than Alexander and Austin, and it just got me wondering if there was more to it than that.

"That's stupid. They never liked him." I answered, talking about the Maldivos' relationship with Austin. Kind of out of context, but in at the same time.

"Depends on what the deal was. And so tell me why I can smell him on them."

I shrugged. "I dunno, you're the one with the nose. Can we go back in, please? You talk and I'll just agree with everything." I pleaded, I just wanted to be with them so bad. It had been so long.

He pulled a face and nodded in agreement.