Captured To Become A Vampire Prince's Bride [22]

"Well... I found a map today, and it needs that exact ruby." I sighed, "I understand if you don't want to give it to me. It did belong to your wife."

"Oh, I don't mind. Her aunt, that I can't stand, gave it to her. I never liked it anyway, but I wear it when I miss her. Here." He placed the ruby firmly into my palm, "just don't misplace it."

I nodded, "are you sure you want to give it to me?"

He grinned, "Sure, nothing bad will happen, right?"

I shrugged and returned the smile, "don't jinx it now. Thanks so much."

"No problem. Tell me what you find down there," he grinned, almost knowingly.

Back in my room, we were trying to figure out what good the ruby was supposed to do, it fitted in the little space, however, nothing happened. Charlotte pushed it in as hard as she could, and still nothing.

"Trying twisting it in the space. That usually works." Leyton suggested.

Charlotte did as Leyton said and it worked. The key had given the map hallways, images of certain things on the way, and old Latin, which I had never come across before.

"You guys read Latin right?" I questioned nervously.

Charlotte and Leandra nodded eagerly. I was deathly jealous of the vampires here, they could all do things I would never be able to do as a human, they all had amazing eyes, and they were all just generally awesome.

It took us a long, long time to figure out where the map was trying showing us, and it turned out that it was a map of the dungeons that I didn't even know they had. But there were a lot of places I didn't know they had here. Charlotte and Leandra, who were supposed to know the ins and outs of this place, completely forgot about the castle's dungeons.

After too many twists and turns and stairs we went down to count, we were at the entry of the dungeons. I felt an unwelcoming cold draft blow from a barred gap in the door, and it didn't smell too pleasant either.

"Just stay close Arianne," Charlotte smiled and hooked arms with me.

I was no longer particularly fond of the dark after my experience in the park and getting kidnapped. My brain had completely disregarded even the slightest chance of darkness being related to safety. However, with four pairs of illuminating eyes all in shining in one direction, I could make out a vague path of which way we were going. Luckily for the others, they could see in the dark. On either side of us were wooden cell doors all pad-locked shut, they didn't look like they had been used for centuries, most of the padlocks had already eroded so they could just open. And the rotten wooden doors left a damp, mouldy aroma about us.

"Why are there dungeons here?" I quizzed.

"Long ago, this castle was much more alive than it is now, and people who committed crimes would be put in here, and usually condemned to death. That was before humanity came in and prisons were created," Leyton said. "However, the death sentence is still legal," he added in a much more perky tone.

Eventually, we made it outside of the dungeon where we had to walk down a long flight of stone steps, we seemed to be in a giant cave. And as we neared the bottom of the stairs, I could hear low breathing, and the temperature was slowly rising. I could see a flickering orange light that was coming from around the corner of the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh my god..." I heard Jayden whisper in-front of me as he stood at the foot of the stairs, "I knew this family was crazy."

I stood beside him and stared as Charlotte unhooked her arms from mine. I blinked a few times to make sure my unadjusted eyes weren't hallucinating. To my disbelief, they weren't and sleeping before us, was an enormous, dark green dragon.