Chapter 1: A pale blue house

So if you just happened to fall upon this book and you haven't already I'd read the first book to this one. (Is Love Really Worth Dying For?) Otherwise you'll have no clue what's going on. But yeah if you have read the first book welcome and I hope you enjoy the first chapter.

~~~~~~~

"Gwyn!" I yell to her as I'm pushed down by a walker.

If I try reaching for my knife the thing would fall on my body and take a chunk from my face. Suddenly the walkers eyes close and is pried off from me.

"Crap." Gwyn says trying to get her ax out of the walkers head.

"Thanks." I thank her quietly as she releases the ax's blade from the back of its head.

"No problem." She nodded as we started walking on the empty road again with trees on both side of it.

~~~~~~~

It's only been about a couple hours since the prison got attacked and the sun was already starting to set.

"We need to find a roof soon." I tell her not meaning to sound annoyed but after what had just happened I couldn't help it.

"We might be able to improvise if we have to." She tells me looking around.

After a few long moments of just the sound of our footsteps, I speak up.

"What happened when you got Judith on the bus?"

"I didn't get her to the bus. I gave her to Lizzie and the kids." She told me and after another few silent moments she continues. "Oh no! I gave her to Lizzie and the kids." She says before groaning.

"They were heading for the bus and I was trying to find you!"

"It's okay...I'm sure she's fine. I hope."

"Oh! Yeah! Thanks for making me feel better!" Gwyn says sarcastically just as I spot a small part of a doorway and a wall.

I stopped her in the middle of her rant and pointed toward it.

At closer glance we realized it was a house...in a neighborhood.

"Well we have plenty roofs to choose from." I tell her.

~~~~~~~

We had been walking through the neighborhood, for what felt like forever, to choose a house.

"Hey, remember when we were kids, and we always thought when we moved out we would be roommates?" She asked me.

"Yep. And remember when I said our house or apartment would be blue?" I told her pointing to a pale blue house.

"It's not as bright as I was expecting it to be but you know it's something." She tells me laughing a bit.

When we got up to the porch I looked through the window. Looked like a normal house except everything was a little out of place and dusty.

I pulled out my knife and Gwyn held up her ax.

She slowly opened the door and cautiously walked in.

"Why don't we just do this?" I say before banging on the wall and yelling. "Hey bastards! Come out! Fresh meat!"

"(Y/N)!" She said angrily.

We waited a few seconds and just heard a few faint growls from a room down the hall.

"See if there were more they'd be down here by now. Now we know it or they are just in that room." I told her.

"Whatever, I'll check the kitchen." She says laughing.

I pull out my gun from my holster and only see 2 bullets left. "I'll check for any ammo or weapons." I tell her.

I head into the living room as she makes her way to the kitchen. There was a picture frame hanging above the fireplace with a small girl, a teenage boy, a mother and a dog. Right next to the fireplace was a dark wood and glass case...with guns aligned inside. How did I notice a useless picture before I saw the guns? And how would someone leave their house without taking their guns? I unhooked the latch and opened the glass door. I grab one of the bigger guns and see that it has no ammo. I check all the other guns getting to the last one and find...nothing. Well that'll answer my second question.

"Fan-fucking-tastic." I say out loud.

I go through the rest of the drawers and find nothing useful except for a side bag.

"Gwyn. I'm moving on to another room!" I yell to her and send the Walker growling again as I sling the bag strap over my shoulder.

"Alright!" She answered.

I go a little ways down the hall and check the drawer from the side table in the hallway. I find a container of antibiotics. I guess that's two wins for us. As I close the drawer all I hear is the Walker. Yeah... I won't be able to sleep with this going off. I take out my knife and hold it up as I crack open the door the growls were coming from. When I see the walkers face between the crack I stick my knife through and stab it's forehead sending it to the ground. I try opening the door having to push the walkers legs out of the way to get it open. When I lay my eyes on the room it looked as if it was cleaned everyday. Like it was untouched by the virus the world was hit with. It wasn't what I was expecting.