Chapter 6: A Sheriff's Badge

I pulled the trigger hearing a click. The door slams close before I could try the trigger again.

"Stop!" Gwyn screams dropping her stuff and runs up to me.

"What are you doing?!" She grabs the gun and looks at it.

"You're so lucky it got jammed!" She screamed in tears.

"But I'm not lucky." I mumbled as tears streamed down my face.

"Are you kidding me?! What was going through your head?" She waited for an answer but I stayed silent and stared at my hand in my lap.

"How'd you think I would've felt If you killed yourself?!" She sighed and continued softer. "I wouldn't want to lose my best friend. No matter what you were thinking before you tried, just know that you were put on this world to live your life until the time you were suppose to pass away...and now isn't that time."

She sighed and got up. She set the, still empty, bag on the table. "I came back to get my ax...but I guess I won't need to get it. I'm not leaving you alone again."

~~~~~~~

I wake up to see Gwyn not sitting on the couch in front of me. I hear a thump from the hall and look up to see the bathroom light on.

For a few moments, I lean my head on the back of the couch. I look down on my shirt and see the badge Carl gave me. It immediately started bringing tears to my eyes I quickly wiped them away and took the badge off and looking at it. I felt anger rise inside me. It wasn't from being mad at him......it was because I missed him. I admit it now because I know it's true and I know what I was thinking, wasn't.

I threw the badge in front of me just as the bathroom door opens and I put my head in my hand and hiding my face with my stumped arm. I felt the couch sink in as Gwyn sat next to me.

"I think you dropped this." She said taking my hand and putting the badge in it.

I didn't reply.

"We'll be fine, they'll be fine, he'll be fine. We'll find them."

I tried to keep it under control but I couldn't. Tears had started flowing from my eyes. I rested my head on her shoulder and just cried my eyes out.

"It's alright." Was all that was said or heard except for my cries.

~~~~~~~

I wake up from things getting tossed around. I look behind me and see Gwyn packing up our bag.

"It's good you're up. We'll be heading out in a little bit. After I change your bandage." She says grabbing the bandages from the table.

I sit up and start unraveling my blood stained bandage revealing a barely healed stump.

She wraps the new one around my arm. And helps me up.

I struggle putting my holster on my leg and belt but eventually get it and we head out the door.

~~~~~~~

As we walk I keep my head down. Gwyn hasn't trusted me with my weapons anymore.

"Aha!" Gwyn says as she finds the way out of the neighborhood. Well I'm asking her for directions from now on.

"Sooo... What do you think will happen when we find them?" She asked breaking the silence.

I didn't respond.

"That's what I think will happen also." She said before we both fell into a pit of silence.

As we got closer and closer to the end of the road, railroad tracks came into view.

"We can follow these until...well I guess until we get somewhere." She said as we walked.

~~~~~~~

We had walked for maybe 10 minutes and we had already found something; a train car.

When we got close enough I saw a banner with writing on it.

"Sanctuary for all. Community for all. Those who arrive, survive." Gwyn read the banner out loud as I looked at the map.

"Should we go?" She asked me.

I shrugged.

"Okay, well for now we could take a break." She said as she sat near the bushes just a few feet away from the train car.

She took out our last can of fruit and punctured it all the way around with my knife and opened it. She gave me the spoon and she took the fork.

We had eaten about half the can when we heard indistinctive talking a little ways away.

"Hide." She whispered as she hid into the bushes, me doing the same.

I peeked through the bushes seeing three people walk up to the train car.

"Oh my god." I manage to choke out.

Yep, I'm a very cruel person. Leaving two chapters on a cliff hanger in a row aaaand making you guys think she died. That's what authors do, keep you on your feet. :)