Chapter 21: This is awkward.

It was the next day and I still haven't brought up to Carl that i couldn't find him. Today I was going to see Pete about my arm. Make sure everything's fine? I have no clue. Deanna just suggested I should talk to him.

I knocked on their door and Deanna answered it. I held up my arm to hint as to why I was there.

"Oh! Come in." She said with a smile.

I did as told and stepped inside. About a minutes later 'Reg' walked into the room and held up a prosthetic arm.

Well...

"Now if you don't want to use it you don't have to but I figured things would be a lot easier with it." He explains sitting in front of me. "We use to have a pharmacy and hospital filled with supplies. We just grabbed what we thought might come in handy and just so happens, this was one of those things." He told me. "You want to try it on?"

I nodded and he unwrapped the bandage I had on and hooked it to my arm. It wasn't my right skin tone but I was fine with that. He spent maybe thirty-forty minutes showing me how to hook the muscle detectors to my bicep and what was left of my forearm. When he was done he stepped back.

"Alright. Try it out." He told me.

I tried moving all of 'my' fingers having everyone except my pinky, move.

"Well I wasn't expecting it to work perfectly since its, who knows how old. But I guess that'll do. It may take a little bit to get used to." He told me.

"Thank you." I thanked them with a smile and rolled down my sleeve that stopped at my elbow.

"Oh don't forget I'm having a small party tonight." Deanna told me as I was halfway out the door.

"I'll be there." I tell her and give a smile before closing the door.

I make it back to our house and I try opening the door with my new arm and succeed. Carl was sitting on the couch with Judith on his lap playing with a dirty rubber duck.

"Carl." I said getting his attention.

I held up my arm gave a small smile.

"Oh that's cool!" He said as I sat next to him moving 'my' fingers.

"Yeah the only one that doesn't move is my pinky." I said as we both chuckled.

I rested my head on his shoulder. After a few moments of silence, I broke it.

"So where were you yesterday?"

He shrugged. "You know. Just out exploring."

"Ah. That's probably why I couldn't find you yesterday." I say knowing he wasn't telling me everything.

"Yeah..." He trailed off.

~~~~~~~

I knocked on Jessie's door waiting on her porch.

She told me she had a few pieces of clothing I could have, and to wear to the party.

She opened the door and handed me a small stack of clothes.

"I had offered them to Enid but I guess she just didn't want them. And I suppose you guys are around the same size. I want you to have them." She told me with a smile.

"Thank you." I thank her.

"No problem." She nodded once with a smile.

I went home and changed. It was just a simple sweater, black skinny jeans, and some boots. (Picture)

I walk out of the bathroom to be met with Carl.

"Shall we go?" He asked holding out his elbow.

"We shall." I say as I lock my elbow with his.

When we get there the house is filled with a lot people, beers, and a few balloons.

"Oh uh, hey." Ron came up to us. "Um. Carl, your dad said he needed your help with something." He said pointing in a direction.

"Alright." Carl replies as he starts walking that way.

I start to follow when Ron grabs my wrist.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Um...sure." I said looking around.

"Can we go outside its kind of loud in here." He suggests. And I insist.

We head out back and sit on the porch chairs.

"So...um. I wanted to talk about Carl." I already knew this wasn't going to end well. "He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that's not going to stand up for a girl like you."

....excuse me? Did I hear you correctly?

"A girl like you needs someone...more strong. Someone who's going to protect you all the way through."

"Well it's a good thing Carl's been there with me through thick and thin for three years of my life." I tell him trying to give him a hint that he's not going to win me over.

"Uh-yeah...the stars look beautiful." He says looking up. He was right about one thing. They really did look amazing.

Suddenly, cutting me out of my gaze, I feel Ron turn my head with his finger on my chin and start leaning in. I push him away and jump up.

"Um...well...its been a good talk. I'll just be going inside now. Take care of you and Enid...your girlfriend." I tell him and immediately run inside shutting the door behind me.

Well then...