Chapter Five - No Mercy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try so hard can't seem to get away from misery
Man I try so hard
Will always be a victim of these streets
It ain't my fault cause I...
Tried to get away but trouble follows me
And still I try so hard
Hoping one day you'll come and rescue me
But until then, I'll be posted up right here rain sleet hail snow
But until then...
I'll be posted up right here with my heat getting dough

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up the same time as yesterday and did the same thing. I gathered the eggs. Everything was good now. I was back to the same old routine, my head wasn't obsessing over the prince anymore, Jacob and I are good, Mom and Dad still love each other. It seemed as though for once in my life the sun was shining on me.
I went back to the house with a basket full of eggs and set them in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Dear," Mom said.

"Good morning, Mother." I smiled at her.

There was a knock on the door and I said, "I'll get it." I walked to the front door and opened it to find two officers. The same officers that were here two days ago.
I threw my hands in the air and asked, "What have I stolen now?"

"Not anything new, but the king would like to do another trail, one were he is the judge and not his son."

I stood staring at them completely shocked. I had to face the king. I'm glad I had the prince as my judge the first time otherwise I would already be dead. I have to face the king. The king shows no mercy. He's going to find me guilty. I'm going to be hung by tomorrow.

"What's going on?" I heard my father say. The two officers turned around to see my dad standing a couple yards away.

"We have to do a second trial of Miss Melrose's case. King's orders." I brushed by the two officers to my dad and hugged him. Only then did I realize that I had been crying already. The tears became harder as I pulled away from him and said, "I love you."

"Belinda! Who's at the -" I heard my mom call just as she reached the door. I ran to her and hugged her to. It would be the last time that I hugged her. I sobbed even harder and said, "I love you."

Then the officers took my arms and led me to the castle. I wasn't struggling to get away this time because I knew I wouldn't be able to. I wanted to enjoy the scene around me because it would be the last time I saw it. The birds were still chirping, the sun was still shining, the market was a mess with people buying and selling goods. People were smiling and laughing; enjoying their day as if nothing bad is happening at the moment. It's amazing how bright the world can seem when something terrible is happening to a person. You would think that people would notice me walking down the street with two officers by my side and tears streaming down my face, but they didn't. They didn't notice anyone. They were too occupied with what they were doing. We walked over the draw bridge of the castle and down the hallway into the room where the king was sitting in his throne along with the prince sitting next to him. I looked down suddenly finding my feet and the carpet beneath them interesting. I couldn't look up into their eyes. The king's would have bloodlust, and well, I'm not sure what the prince's would be. I quickly looked up at him to see looking at me with sorrow in his eyes. Sorrow? I'm not sure what he should be sorry about.

"Do you know what you are here for, Miss Melrose?" That wasn't the prince's voice or the two officer's voice. It was the king's voice saying the exact same question that his son had asked when I was brought here the first time.