Chapter Thirty Five - Trustworthy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oily marks appear on walls

Where pleasure moments hung, before the takeover

The sweeping insensitivity

Of this, still life

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Andrew misses you, you know."

I was sitting at my vanity looking at myself in the new wig that Aleene bought for me with Andrew's money. You could say that Andrew bought it for me, but I'd rather not.

"It's only been two days." My voice was even. It showed no emotion.

"I know that. He knows that, too. I'm just telling you what I know." Aleene said. I didn't look at her. She'd know that I missed him, too, if I looked at her. "Not that you care," Aleene added in a sharp voice.

In the past couple of days I had mastered showing no emotions whenever Andrew's name was brought into the conversation. I had mastered being a noble around anyone whenever they brought up Andrew; when I was alone and thinking he was always on my mind. How I reacted to him when I was alone was a completely different story.

"Thank you for the wig," I said, completely ignoring the Andrew ordeal.

"I'm not the one who got it for you. Thank Andrew, not me."

I ignored her yet again. Wasn't she lower on the scale than me, now? It was rude to say things like that to me. Could she not just say 'you're welcome' and leave it at that?

"Thank you for the lesson, but I think we should call it a day." I turned around in my seat to see Aleene scrutinizing me.

"Okay. Any message that you want me to deliver for you?"

"I can't think of one at the moment, but I'll write one down tonight if I think of any," I fake smiled at her. She huffed and left my room, slamming my door rather loudly. The walls shook from the force of the door slam. It wasn't just the walls of my room that shook, the walls around my heart shook, too, but unlike the walls in my room, the walls around my heart crumbled to the floor. I turned back around in my seat and stifled a sob. The room seemed to darken along with my mood.

Knowing that I had broken Andrew's heart had taken its toll on me. It had broken my heart, too. I couldn't allow myself to give into him again. I wanted what was best for Andrew, and what was best for him was not me. He had a future with a beautiful, noble-born, girl. He didn't have one with me. He never would as far as I was concerned. The way my plan was working at the moment he wouldn't be able to hold onto me for much longer. He would get tired of me being cold and distant, and after a while, when he realized that there was no changing me, he would let me go.

I stood up from my seat and smoothed down my lavish dress. I bent down and looked at my face again. Honestly, the Belinda with blonde hair and the Belinda with brown hair didn't look that much different. If you just compared their faces you'd easily be able to tell that they are the same person, but if you compared their whole appearance, blonde Belinda with her fancy dress, and brown Belinda with her nude-colored dress, you would never think that that there was even a resemblance between the two.

I turned away from my appearance, suddenly disgusted by it. I hated this. I hated what I had to become.

A single tear ran down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away.