Chapter Sixty Four - The New Plan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Young blood, young bone
Old ghost go home

Band of gold with a diamond implied
You wrote letters that you never sent
I made promises I'll always deny
Now we'll never know what the other meant
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Week. It had been one week since Daniel was murdered. It had been one week and we still didn't have a bloody clue who killed him. We didn't have any leads. There weren't any clues at the scene to lead us anywhere. It could've been a peasant, but then the question of 'why would Daniel be in peasant streets?' arose. A fellow nobleman could've staged it, but we've already interviewed all of the noble's and none of them seemed guilty. If it was a peasant we had no idea where to start. We couldn't just interview all of them. It would take way too long.

I sighed and put the papers that I had read over a million times down on the desk. I leaned back and ran my hands down my face. I felt the stubble on my cheeks from where I hadn't had time to shave in the past week. I barely slept. I was being haunted by this case. I had to figure out who did this to Daniel. I had to, for Beatrice.

Speaking of Beatrice, she was scaring me. Her eyes were constantly glazed over and she walked around the castle like a zombie. Her hair wasn't polished like it usually was and her dress looked like she threw it on while it was pitch dark in her room. I was worried about her and I knew that she knew something that we didn't, but every time I tried to talk to her about it she'd freak out and start sobbing. I wanted to give her space and time to heal, but we needed to know what she knew.

"Any new ideas?" I asked the king as he slammed down his shot of whiskey.

"I have none. I think we need other perspectives on this."

"What are you implying?" The king glared at me, daring me to say what I thought.

"I think we should do what Lady King suggested."

He continued to glare at me as he thought it over. He pursed his lips and asked, "Why?"

"It couldn't hurt and honestly we need the help. We have no leads, no hints, no clues, nothing! The contestants could help give us other ideas."

"They need to stick to what they are doing for their contest. This kind of stuff is too hard for a woman."

"I beg your pardon. These girls here have worked on past cases before and came up with the correct criminal. if they can't figure it out they can at least help us."

"How do we determine who wins?"

"Whoever guesses the murderer of Daniel correctly wins."

The king sat at his desk, glaring at me. I could see the wheels in his head turning as he thought about what his answer was. Slowly, a smirk spread across his face and he said, "You must think a lot of Lady Belinda to want to persuade me to do this. This is her idea after all."

This was a trap. He wanted to see if I had any affection towards her. "She's a very good student. She's very determined and passionate about this. I feel like it's a good idea that we do this, simply because we need the help, not because it was Lady Belinda who suggested it."

His smirk fell from his face. He poured another shot of whiskey and downed it before he said, "Alright. We will tell the girls the new plan after supper tonight."

"Thank you," I replied. He grunted in response.

~

There was an awkward tension in the room as we all sat down for supper. The king looked like he was regretting his decision, Sue was on the verge of tears, Ophelia was trying to comfort Sue, and Belinda looked mad yet determined because she wanted to find out who killed Daniel.

The king led us in a prayer before our food was brought out to us. The king was the only one to clear his plate. The rest of us were too distraught with the situation to have a big appetite.

Sue still looked very disturbed with the whole situation. Her eyes were glassy with unshed tears, her hair was limp and unkept, and she didn't have her normal air of confidence around her. I felt so sorry for her. I knew it had to be hard.

Dinner ended and the five of us started talking amongst ourselves. Sue and Ophelia were talking quietly to each other. The king and I both asked how Sue was doing. It was obvious she wasn't doing well, but it was still nice to ask. Belinda stayed quiet for the most part since I went back to the study to gather everything the three girls would need to help us with the case.

I returned and the king cleared his throat.

"As you all know my son and I have yet to come up with a possible murderer for Daniel Trymond. My son has suggested that we let you all help us. Andrew will hand you copies of all the papers explaining what happened to him and the dialogue of everyone who we have interrogated so far.

The way this month will work is that instead of doing what you were originally going to do. You will work on this case alone. In order to win this month you will have to come up with a murderer in two weeks. If any of you object to doing this then none of you will help and we will stay with what we were originally going to do. Does anyone object?"

All eyes turned to Sue. She would be the deciding factor of whether or not we would help. She sniffled and looked up. She scanned each of our faces and landed her eyes on the king. "I'll do it. I'll help."

"Is everyone else in favor?"

Belinda and Ophelia nodded their head in agreement.

"Then it's decided. Whoever comes up with the murderer marries my son."

A/N Short chapter. I know, but at least it is something and now you all know what the third month will be like. Does anyone think the know who killed Daniel? If so tell me in a comment and don't forget to vote!