Chapter Thirty Six - Like Mother Like Daughter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but that's the path, i believe in
and T know that, time will heal it
you didn't notice, you mean everything
quickly I'm learning, to love again
all i know is, imma be ok

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My eyes were matted shut from all the crying. It took a while to pry them open. I wiped the dried tears away and sluggishly dressed in the clothing that was laid out for me, not even bothering to see what my new maid had picked out. I glanced at my appearance and had to do a double take. To put it lightly, I looked like death. My eyes were blood shot and puffy, with bags underneath them. My hair was a tangled mess. I had a moping, somber expression plastered on my face and my posture was slouched. I sighed and I heard a knock on my door. I walked over to it and opened it. I looked up at my mother and smiled. I've always admired my mother. When I was little she was always more loving than the king. Even though we had grown apart recently I was hoping that we could bond again since I was no longer a clone of the king.

"Good morning, Mother." I bowed.

"Morning, Son." She curtsied. "May I come in?"

"Of course." I stepped aside and let her in my room. I shut the door behind her. I turned around to see her sitting on my bed. She patted the space beside her and I sat down.

"Would you like to tell me what's bothering you?" She asked. I was shocked by her question. I didn't know the last time we had a personal conversation. As much as I wanted to have a personal conversation with her I wasn't sure if I could tell her the truth.

"It's a really long story." I tried to dismiss it, hoping that she would let it go.

"Would it have anything to do with the new lady, Belinda?"

It had everything to do with her...

"Yes," I replied.

"You know that you can tell me anything." She placed a comforting hand on my thigh. Her eyes probed mine.

"I know," I finally agreed.

"You know Andrew, love is a wonderful thing. Don't let it slip away from you. Hold on to it with a tight grip. Never let it go." Mother seemed to slip off into her own memories.

"Where did that come from?" I asked. She continued to sit there with a longing look on her face. I'd know that look anywhere.

She sighed and said, "Andrew, I know that you've probably figured this out already, but I don't love your father and he doesn't love me." I nodded my head for her to continue. "Your father forced me to marry him. He told me that the only reason he wanted me to be his wife was because I was the most beautiful girl in the land. That was the only reason. He felt nothing for me." Tears welled up in her eyes and I grabbed her hand to comfort her. "I'm sorry. I haven't revisited these memories in years," She apologized.

"Take your time," I assured her. I wanted to hear what my mother had to say. More than likely it would help me.

"When we married he forced me to have a child. The night we married we made you. For those nine months that I was pregnant he treated me awfully. He would hit me and tell me that I was fat and ugly. My maid, Gina, was the only one I could talk to because James wouldn't allow me to see my old friends. Gina would always comfort me and cover up the bruises with make up so that the land would continue to think that James and I were in love. You were such a beautiful child when you were born. I instantly fell in love with you. I felt protective of you. I promised myself that I wouldn't let James corrupt you, but I did. I let him. I'm scared of him, Andrew. He threatened to kill Lucy if I didn't back off and let him teach you how to be a king. Even though the man I made all my children with is evil, I love all of them, including you."