Chapter Thirty Four - The Secret

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Cause you can't deny,
You've blown my mind.
When I touch your body,
I feel I'm losing control.
'Cause you can't deny,
You've blown my mind.
When I see you baby,
I just don't wanna let go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up the next morning with a headache; a huge headache; a huge heartache. The memories of last night hit me and a new wave of pain erupted through me. I choked back a sob and a round of tears.

I came home last night with tears running down my face.

I didn't know what had gotten into Belinda.

Whatever it was I didn't like it.

It wasn't the Belinda I loved, I knew that.

I slowly got out of the bed and dressed for the day. I knew one thing for sure. There was no way I was working today.

I slipped out of my room after I dressed and slyly walked into the piano room. I closed the door behind me and took in the dark room. The sun wasn't out today and the whole room was dark and cold, as if it knew the love that was shared in here wasn't the same anymore. It was as if the dark room was crying with me.

How could it be that in a few short days Belinda had already decided that she wouldn't be with me? Her words lingered in my head from last night.

Well in that case, I'm thinking that I'm not sure how much longer I can pretend to be a noble.

I thought that she felt the same as me.

What was wrong with me?

Why would she not want me?

I had money. I had a title. I had made a plan so we could have a chance. I had changed for her. I had changed for the better. I was seeing things differently than how I used to. I loved her. What more could you ask for?

The fact that I loved her should be enough by itself, no matter my status. If you have love, nothing else matters.

I staggered over to the piano and sat down on the bench. I set my fingers on the keys and tried to play, but the pain that overcame me wouldn't let me.

This is called playing what your heart desires...try it...you're trying too hard. Don't think about it. Clear your head of all thoughts and play whatever your heart tells you to play.

Why couldn't it still be like that? So loving? So caring?

I stood up from the bench with tears pouring down my face. I stormed out of the piano room and behind the stairs to the servants' headquarters. I stormed through there, all the servants stopping and bowing in my presence.

"Bart!" I barked. In mere seconds the servant showed up in front of me. "Clear the garden and make sure no one comes in! I need to be alone!"

"Yes, Sir. Right away, Sir."

The servants hurried about making sure that the garden was clear before they let me through. The door opened minutes later and Bart ushered me into the garden before closing it behind him. It was cold and cloudy outside. All the flowers were wilting. The grass was starting to turn brown. The garden was slowly dying along with the love that Belinda had for me. My love for her was still strong. I didn't know how I would ever let her go. I didn't know if I could.