Chapter Thirty Two - The Unknowing Accomplice

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, the trouble with the truth
Is it's always the same 'ol thing
So hard to forget, so impossible for me to change
Every time I try to fight it
I know I'll be left to blame

Oh, the trouble with the truth
Is it's always the same 'ol thing
And the trouble with the truth
Is it's just what I need to hear
Ringing so right, deep down inside my ear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked into Aleene's room a couple days later to see how Belinda was doing.

Yesterday the king overloaded me with some more paper work saying, "That's what you get for playing with that girl instead of doing your work." He could come by so caring to new people, but to his own family he was cruel. I was exhausted from all of it and went to bed as soon as I was done.

"Hi, Andrew," Aleene greeted.

"Hello." I nodded my head. "How's Belinda?"

"Good. We went dress shopping yesterday and she finally stood up for herself."

"What do you mean finally?"

"She was weak. She just let people run her over. A noble doesn't do that. So I irritated her until she finally blew."

I looked at her like she was crazy.

"Don't give me that look. It had to happen and you know it."

"You could've done it differently."

"And you could've actually gone to Belinda's two nights ago."

"Does she know that I was supposed to come and didn't?"

"Yes."

I groaned and said, "Why? She probably thinking that I did something with another girl instead of coming to see her. I know how she thinks, sort of."

"What did you do?"

"You can't tell anyone this. I'll explain to Belinda tonight."

"Alright, you have my attention."

"My sister, Beatrice, was also sneaking out. I caught her and we both started talking. She was going out to see Daniel, who apparently she's been seeing for a while because they confessed their love to each other last night. But that's not the point. Beatrice was scared to say her feelings so she asked me if I would stay and watch Daniel's actions for a while so I did, thinking that I'd still be able to go to Belinda's. I wasn't planning on Beatrice telling Daniel how she felt that night, but she did, and after she did I just got so tired and it felt like I couldn't move a muscle. I knew that if I was able to go over to Belinda's that I would end up falling asleep there and I couldn't risk anyone seeing us. So I fell asleep in the middle of a shaded street and Beatrice found me when she was starting to come back to the castle. I'm not really sure how I made it here, but I did. I really wanted to see her last night, but I couldn't say no to my little sister."

"I understand, but I don't know if Belinda will. Good luck."

I sighed. "I screwed up, didn't I?"

"Afraid so."

"Alright, well I'll talk to you soon, I guess. I'll let you know how tonight goes with Belinda."