Chapter Fifty - Friendly Rounds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tip toe,

Hush, hush

Your beauty, your innocence

Joy is found with ever kiss

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My maid had laid out matching black trousers and a coat, along with a blue waistcoat and a pale blue cravat. She had woken me up early to shave my face. I always loved the feeling of my face after a good shave.

The castle was still quiet. Most of the noblemen's daughters were still sleeping, but as I was walking down the marble stairs I heard the sounds of a piano. I smiled to myself, knowing that Belinda was in there to clear her mind before a long day of work.

I decided not to bother her and went to the king's study. I knocked lightly and the king's servant opened the door, letting me in. I stepped in and bowed in his presence. Once he nodded in acknowledgement I straightened up.

"What are my duties today, Your Majesty?" I asked.

The king took a sip of wine from his gold tipped glass before answering, "All you need to do today is visit the girls and make them feel welcome. I was disappointed in the low scores that most of them made. You need to make sure that these ladies want to be your wife. You need to make them want it. Do you understand? I have a feeling that your formalness with them made them not want to participate. Be more friendly with them. Get close to them."

"That's not fair. What if one of these ladies get jealous and starts a fight?"

"Then the harder they will try to get you." The king looked up from the papers on his desk. His face was completely serious as he spoke. "If I find out that you have been formal with these ladies, then me and you will have to have a talk. Do you understand?"

"Completely," I answered.

"Then you may go." I nodded my head and turned on my heel to leave. I stepped out into the foyer and stopped. I stood for a few seconds to see if I could hear the piano still playing. Much to my dismay, I couldn't. She must've already gone back to her room to start the day.

I sighed and dragged my feet up the stairs to stand in front of Lucinda Ambrose's door. I could only hope that Belinda would understand why I was fixing to do this. I blew out a breath, shook out my tense muscles, and closed my eyes. This wouldn't mean anything. I was only doing this because I had to. I loved Belinda. She was the only for me. I had to remind myself of this, simply to rid of some of the guilt that was already bubbling in the pit of my stomach.

I knocked on Lucinda's door and her etiquette teacher answered. I smiled politely at her and said, "If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to speak to Lady Lucinda privately."

"Not a problem, Your Highness." I mentally cringed as she said the words 'Your Highness'. I hated titles. It was a newly found hatred that came whenever I met Belinda.

She stepped aside to let me in and then scurried out, shutting the door behind her. Lucinda was sitting down behind her desk. Her hands were folded neatly on top of her desk and she was wearing a purple dress. She was pretty, but she was no where near Belinda's beauty.

"Am I in trouble?" Lucinda's eyebrows raised in question.

"No," I said while shaking my head and bring a chair over in front of the desk. I sat down and smiled kindly at her. She gave me a skeptical look.