Chapter I: Yellow Eyes

The sun slowly begins to rise over the mountain ridge. Birds start to chirp as light fills the valley. A cool crisp breeze disturbs the still grass, and everything comes to life once more. A small peaceful village nestled between some hills starts to light up. Smoke begins pouring from chimneys as its villagers begin to awaken.

A young man with blond hair opens his eyes, which are yellow in color, and sits up in bed. He looks around his room, seeing all his belongings scattered about. Books of alchemy stacked on his desk are the only things neat in the room. Clothes lie about, no floor can be seen. The young man rubs the back of his head to feel a massive bump. His fingers running through his short blond hair as he moves his arm.

"Drayk!" A familiar voice echoes from down the hall, getting loader and closer, "Drayk!"

The bedroom door flings open. A teenage girl looks at him. A smile spreads wide across her face, "Drayk! You've finally woken up! It's been three days! Lazy bum!"

Drayk shakes his head at the girl. He chuckles softly, "forgive me for being knocked unconscious dear sister. You act like I was sleeping Sammi!"

Sammi huffs at his remark and walks over to him. She sits on the bed next to him. Her blonde hair dancing as she does. She looks into his eyes with her big ocean blue eyes, "Your eyes have changed. How hard did you get hit?"

"No harder than I have before Sammi. What do you mean they're different?" Drayk asks, "How could they be different?"

Without giving his sister time to respond, Drayk bolts out of bed and runs down the hall to the lavatory. He gazes into the mirror at his own reflection. Drayk stares at himself quite puzzled. He soon sees Sammi's reflection show up behind him.

"My eyes.... they're.... yellow?" Drayk thinks to himself.

Sammi has a genuine look of concern on her face which catches Drayk's attention. He turns to face her, still with the look of confusion in his eyes.

"The White Mage that brought you home said you took a pretty nasty blow to the back of the head," Sammi explains, "I don't understand why you had to join The Resistance Drayk.... just because father-"

"Our father dying has nothing to do with why I enlisted...." Drayk pauses for a moment, "I joined the fight to help put an end to war. Besides, you know very well that he was alive before I even want to enlist anyway.

Drayk, knowing Sammi will never understand starts to walk away. He shuts the door on his sister as he re-enters his bedroom. Drayk locks the chain lock and sits down at his desk. He starts to skim through his alchemy books, when suddenly, the sound of a large crash shakes the entire house. The earth rumbles beneath his feet, and the sound of screams can be heard from outside. Drayk closes the book and reaches for his sword. He hops out the window, blade drawn for a fight. For a brief moment, all he can see is smoke and dust. As it begins to clear, Drayk sees Elite soldiers marching into the village.

He sheathes his sword and yells out, "Xivaac's army has found us! Everyone gather together!"

Drayk charges at the soldiers, his hands open. Fire appears in his palms and he starts to throw explosive fireballs at the soldiers. The blank masks concealing their faces, and any fear they may have. One by one, soldiers begin to explode at Drayk's mercy. He moves his hands around the top of his head. Clouds begin to blow in above, spiralling into dark thunder clouds. Drayk casts his right hand down and a thunderbolt strikes the center of the soldiers. All of the Elites scatter from the clash of lightning.

Drayk calms down to take a breath, the clouds overhead dispersing. He pants as if he had just run for hours non-stop. He looks down at his palms to see that they are still sparking with electricity.