Chapter XVI: Encounter at the Border

The entire tower to the Dark Lord's castle rattles and shakes. Xivaac is in his chambers slamming everything about. Rage and sorrow have stricken the God of Darkness. His whole body is trembling and he is glowing in a red aura. The darkness in his eyes seem to grow darker still. His eyes are so black they no longer reflect light. The Dark Lord stops all movement when his chamber door flings open. At the doorway, stands Kraag.

"Sire," Kraag begins, "I am sorry for your loss."

"Bring me the girl. Now!" Xivaac demands as his aura flares brighter.

Without saying a word, Kraag rushes out of the room and descends the stairs. After a moment, he reaches Sammi's chambers. He kicks the door open, startling Sammi. A look of terror and anger are engraved in his eyes. Before she has a chance to ask, Kraag grabs her by the wrist and starts pulling her out of her room.

"What do you think you're doing!?" Sammi shouts while her hand ignites, making Kraag let go.

"You told Lord Xivaac that Karleigh would be victorious! You told him that he had nothing to worry about!" Kraag yells excitedly.

"Are you accusing me of providing false information?"

"You're damn right I am! I bet you even tipped your brother off!"

"Now that's ridiculous!"

In her mind, Sammi knows she is bluffing. She is lying through her teeth to prevent this from getting out of hand. Thoughts of her futuresight flash in her mind. Eventually, Kraag will strike at her. She focuses her thoughts and mind as Kraag yells at her. Sammi isn't even paying attention to his words. The only thing she can think about is preparing to defend herself.

"Are you even listening to me?!" Kraag asks, still yelling.

"I wasn't, no," Sammi smiles, "Sorry."

Kraag fills with anger and summons his halberd forth. His eyes are glowing an icy blue. Sammi's hands burst into flames at his action. Fire and Ice. A battle as old as the first Mage Clans. The two clans have always been in dispute for many years. More than could even be imagined. A quarrel even older than the fallen Great Master Leon himself.

Kraag swings his massive weapon at Sammi, but she smoothly avoids the blade. She reaches out and touches the blade as it goes by. An outline of her hand has been melted into the blade's icy edge. Kraag growls at her for doing this. It is like she is mocking him with her magic, almost taunting him.

"I can't believe you'd strike a unarmed girl," Sammi teases, "I am so defenseless!"

"Are you mocking me?" Kraag asks in a subtle voice.

She doesn't say a word, she just winks at him. Sammi lifts up her hands and the room fills with a hot haze. The heat intensifies very quickly, soon leaving the halberd as nothing more than a metal pole over a puddle of water. Kraag throws the unarmed weapon to the floor in anger. He makes and throws ice shards at Sammi. Before they can reach her, they melt in midair.

"Ice has always been weak," Sammi states in a monotone, "You are weak."

Her eyes start to glow a fiery red and the entire room combusts in an orange flame. Kraag flees the room, trying not to get too burned. This girl has mastered Fire Magic in a way he has never seen before. A fire so strong, he had only read about such power. The true power of magic has lost its potential as different Mage Clans have merged together over the centuries. A power that has been lost to this world.

To be able to wield such dramatic magic, your body takes a huge toll. Sammi doesn't appear to be affected in any way. She walks out of the inferno, everything in the room burnt to ashes. The entire building starts to catch fire. Sammi is calm in every way. A blank and threatening look in her eyes kind of startles Kraag. She can do more than just wield this magic. This girl has truly mastered it.