Chapter XIII: Attack on Oro

"Time to get up young one," a voice whispers.

A little girl rolls over in her bed, whining. She pulls the covers over her head, hiding her red hair. The old man sits on the edge of the bed and pulls the covers off really fast. The young girl shivers, reaching for the blanket with one arm. Giving up, she looks up at the old man with her big green eyes. She's been on her own for so long it feels weird to be around someone.

"My name is Crito," the man says with a big smile on his face.

"I don't have a name...." the girl pauses, "I've been referred to as the stray cat before by lots of people though!"

Her eyes fill with tears as she looks up into the man's face. His eyes are completely white. Can he even see her? She waves her hands around briefly. No reaction. The girl tries it again and her hands get snatched by the old man's.

"Yes child, I am blind. I lost my sight many, many years ago," Crito laughs, "but I am a master Wind Mage. The air sees what I cannot for me."

"You're a master of Wind?"

"That's right."

"Will you teach me? I wouldn't be so helpless on my own if you will."

Crito stands up and faces away from the little girl. He lets out a sigh, running his hand through his beard. After a moment, he turns back towards the young girl.

"How old are you child?" Crito asks.

"I'm six," she replies, "I've been on my own for as long as I can remember. Looking for food.... and a place to sleep."

"Interesting. An orphaned child?"

"Yes sir."

"I will train you to master the winds. I will also train you in the art of the ninja, stealth and quickness."

"Yay!"

"Settle down. Before you accept, just know that it will be a long time to master the element."

"How long?"

"Many years. Especially training as a ninja as well."

"I want to train with you! I want to be able to survive without worry."

"You will never be without a home. You are welcomed here as long as you wish to stay."

"Thank you Crito!"

"That's Master Crito from this day forward."

"Yes Master Crito!"

"Now, you can't very well not have a name. I will certainly not refer to you as a stray cat. Seeing as you will be the sixth student I will have trained. From this day forth, I will call you Roku."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Master Crito! Why are you still asleep?" Roku asks, poking him with her wooden training sword.

"It's the sixth day child," Crito responds.

"The sixth day?"

"Yes. It is a tradition of Wind Mages to relax with family on the sixth day."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're doing very well Roku. You must come from a Mage Clan of some sort. Magic seems so natural to you," Crito says, sounding quite pleased.

"Maybe. I don't know where I came from. You know that Master," Roku smiles real big, "But thank you anyways! I've been staying up real late and practicing!"

"You are the most hyper child i have ever met. It's hard to believe it has been four years already."

~~~~~~~~~~~~