Chapter XVIII: The Pyroreaper

It's been several days now since Sammi has seen anyone other than the servant who brings her meals to her. The conversation and confrontation with Kraag rattles in her mind. He really had attacked her. That man appeared to care about his daughter and Sammi's brother. After recent events, it's clear to her that this man has no sense of family, only loyalty to Lord Xivaac.

Darkness eats away at Sammi from the inside out. The choice she made to accept Xivaac's offer is now haunting her. She feels as if she is becoming as heartless as Kraag. Hatred towards Drayk rises in her. Nothing she is starting to feel, she can explain. The love she feels for her brother is slowly fading away. Sammi drops to the floor and crawls over to a mirror. Her pupils are dilating till her entire eyes are swallowed by blackness. Her blonde washes away into a silky black color as well. The darkness is consuming her.

"Nooooo!!!" She yells as loud as she can.

"Samantha...." a voice whispers in her head.

"Get out of my head!" Sammi roars louder.

"You must not lose sight of who you are...."

"I am Sammi! Kind hearted.... No.... darkness.... death...."

"Focus child."

Sammi throws herself onto her back, still screaming. Her body is aching from head to toe. Pain shoots throughout her body, even her eyes hurt. While twitching, she tries to roll over onto her stomach.

"Don't forget who you are," the voice whispers in her mind.

"I.... am...." Sammi starts to say as she staggers to her feet, but she cannot say another word.

She drops onto the floor of her room. Dust scatters around her as she thumps down. The sight of herself in the mirror frightens her. She has no idea what is happening to her. Her eyes are shifting back and forth from normal to solid black like those of Lord Xivaac.

"I am.... Lady Samantha," she finally says, "Futureseer and sage to Lord Xivaac."

"No child. Dig deeper, don't let the darkness win," the voice gets a little louder.

"Who the Hell are you?!"

"Tsk tsk Sammi. Your brother would be ashamed if he could see you now."

"I asked you a question!"

Sammi waits for a few minutes, hoping the voice will reply to her. Beads of sweat drip onto the floor and tears form in her eyes. She rolls back over onto her back and stares up at the ceiling. Her vision is kind of blurry from the tears. She can't be falling into Xivaac's grasp, Bahemyth had told her that she is destined for so much more. The voice returns once again in her thoughts. At first, Sammi ignores the words and listens to the tone of voice. It is that of a woman. Somehow very familiar to her, and yet so very foreign at the same time.

"You are destined for so much more than to be a puppet at the disposal of Lord Xivaac," the voice echoes in her mind.

"I can't remain here. The darkness is overwhelming me," Sammi cries in pain.

"You are not ready to fulfill your true calling. The day will come that you will get the chance to explore your purpose."

"Wait! Don't leave me here!"

Sammi begins to weep. A non-stop flow of tears pour from her eyes. The room is left in silence. She cannot find the strength, nor the willpower, to get up off of the musky floor. Closing her eyes, Sammi tries to picture her brother in her mind, but cannot. The sight of Lord Xivaac keeps popping into her head. Her body shivers with a chill.