Chapter VIII: All Just a Game of Chess

Grimm spins his legendary scythe around, filling the air with a black gas. Covering their mouths, Drayk and Roku hold their breaths. Not wanting to breath in any of the fumes, Roku swirls her left hand. A dust devil appears and sucks in the black gas. Once it has all been absorbed, the dust devil vanishes.

"Crito has taught you well. I never did like you Windfolk!" Grimm shouts sarcastically.

Grimm then creates doppelgangers of himself. Multiplying all around, dozens of hooded figures are scattered around the Bringers of Hope. Drayk stands forth, shielding Roku behind him. The valley turns grey all around them. For the first time in centuries, the land of Wind is calm and still. Storm clouds form overhead. The sound of thunder rumbles in the sky. Lightning shoots down from up above, striking at the doppelgangers where they stand. Grimm reflects a bolt from hitting him with his scythe.

"You will have to do better than that kid!" Grimm yells out in laughter, vanishing into thin air.

Laughter can still be heard, but Grimm is no where in sight. The sound of clothes tearing rips loudly. A slash mark torn into Drayk's chest and black t-shirt. He lets out a shriek in pain, blood dripping down his torso. Another tearing sound is heard and Roku drops to her knees. Her sheathes fall off her back, the straps cut cleanly off. A giant scratch nearly tears the entirety of her shirt in the back. Only the collar and bottom seems in tact. She screams out and tears run down her face.

Laughter still echoes all around. Drayk closes his eyes and concentrates. He can feel the presence of the Reaper of Life. It is bouncing all around, not staying in one place. The feeling gets real strong behind Drayk and he spins around, drawing his sword. Before the weapon even has a chance to be completely removed from its sheath, it clashes with the scythe of Grimm. Red sparks fly on contact. Eyes still closed, Drayk finishes pulling his blade out. As he does, the tip of his sword slices through Grimm's hood. The blade pushes the scythe blade to the ground. Drayk spins swiftly in a tight little circle. The momentum has built up and Drayk elbows Grimm in the face.

Stumbling backwards, Grimm regains his balance. His hood falls back in the process. His skeleton face can now be seen. The sockets in his skull glow red with anger. Grimm cracks his knuckles and picks up his dropped weapon. If he had skin on his face, the look of surprise would have been all over it. This is the first time anyone could counter this attack of his, and he had his eyes closed the entire time!

"Impressive Drayk," Grimm laughs, "Leon has taught you well."

Not saying anything, Drayk lunges himself at Grimm. His blade catches the robes of the Reaper, tearing them slightly. He is completely a skeleton. No meat, no blood. Drayk realizes his sword wouldn't be able to kill him. He wonders if Grimm would be able to move if he was completely cut into little bony pieces. Drayk slashes over and over at the Reaper, not giving him a chance to attack. Grimm can do nothing but block and parry Drayk's blows. Drayk's broadsword slices through the arm holding the scythe, and Drayk kicks Grimm away from the it. His hand falls to the ground, still clutching the scythe firmly.

"I plan on destroying you Grimm!" Drayk threatens him.

"I'm terrified kid," Grimm says in the most sarcastic tone, "You haven't won yet!"

Rising up into the air, the hand starts swinging the scythe at Drayk. It catches him so much by surprise, he gets cut a long the right side of his face from his cheek bone to his ear. Drayk blocks strike after strike, completely unsure what to do. Grimm, who is standing a few yards away, howls in evil laugher. His eyes focus on Roku since Drayk is more than a little busy. She looks up at Grimm, healing herself. The wound on her back goes away, but her shirt is still torn and soaked in her own blood.