Chapter X: The Delt Triplets

A cool breeze blows in through a small window towards the top of a stone wall. Howling of wolves can be heard far off in the distance, disturbing the silence. The darkness of night shades the Fire countryside. The moon is shining bright, covering all the stars. The moisture in the air catches the moon's light forming a moonbow, gently and radiant. Sounds of screeching bats flutter by the window which amplifies into the stone room. A teenage girl cringes at the noise. She opens her eyes and sits up to look around.

The only thing that can be seen is the bed the girl is sitting on. There appears to be nothing else in the room. Just stone walls and a window to her left. A vague outline of a door off to her right. She rubs her eyes trying to clear her vision. On the floor next to the bed sits a tray of food. Her stomach growls from her hunger. It feels like she hasn't eaten in weeks. Reaching down, she grabs the tray and starts to eat.

After her meal, she decides there is not much else she can do until morning. The girl throws the covers over her head as she curls into a ball, frightened. Thoughts race in her head. Will she ever see her family again? Where is she? Quite some time goes by and she eventually drifts off back to sleep.

The next morning~

The girl rolls onto her back and stretches. With her eyes still closed, she sits up to finish her stretch. Her eyes open to see what she had guessed. A small stone cell with a window too high to reach, even if she were to stand on the bed. A wooden door with iron locks is off in front of her as she climbs off the bed. The tray is missing from the room. It must have been taken out after she had fallen asleep.

Just now deciding to look down, the girl notices she is wearing a plain white dress. There are no designs on it of any kind. She finds a shard of broken glass and uses it as a mirror. She stares into her own blue eyes, glad to see there are no marks. Her blonde hair looks like a mess. Almost as if she had been asleep for days on end. Then, what sounds like footsteps can be heard getting closer. Locks click and the door opens wide. Kraag stands at the door looking in at the girl.

"Who are you?!" The girl screams demanding to know, "Wait till my brother finds me!"

"Your brother thinks you are dead," Kraag laughs.

Memories of the attack on Kuma flash in the girl's mind. Watching the soldiers get blasted away, then the mages showing up. Images of fire all around her flash in her mind, then her memory goes blank after watching the roof come down on top of her.

"He thinks.... I'm dead?" The girl asks with guilt and sorrow in her voice.

"Yes. Drayk thinks you're dead Sammi," Kraag tells her, "We made sure of that."

"Where am I?! What right do you have to keep me here?!" Sammi yells.

"My apologies Lady Samantha," Kraag says changing to a more soothing tone, "My name is Kraag DeVille. I am the Commander General of the Elite Forces. You are not a prisoner. Xivaac has chosen you from the beginning."

"I was chosen.... by the Dark Lord? For what exactly?"

"That I cannot tell you right now. The Dark Lord has instructed me to get you used to being awake again. You've slept for about a week. Now that you're awake though, let me take you to your chambers. I will explain everything there."

Sammi isn't sure what to do, taking her chances at fighting would be a bad idea at this point. Her training in Fire Magic wasn't as successful as her brother's was. Fighting is definitely not her thing. She is too kind and gentle of a soul. That's something she has never understood about Drayk; he actually likes to fight. Sammi isn't sure if she can even begin to trust this man. Not having much choice however, she walks over to Kraag.