Chapter XX: Outskirts of Ember

A light breeze blows across Drayk's sleeping face. His nose twitches when the cool morning air crosses him. He slowly opens his eyes to see a wooden roof over his head. Once he sits up, he takes a look around the room. The room is square in shape and is only big to enough to hold a small bed. Nothing else is in the room. There is not a door or any windows, just a wooden box. It is barely tall enough for him to stand up straight. Although there is no candle, the room is lit with a dim even light. A scent of lavender is in the room, adding a sense of tranquility.

"Hello?!" Drayk yells out, hoping he will be heard.

The room remains in silence. No noise whatsoever. Then, the smell of lavender begins to have the odor of rotting flesh. The air chills quickly and frost forms on the walls. Drayk puts his arms at his side with his palms facing upward. Nothing happens. He flicks his wrists, and again, nothing happens. His magic is not working. He looks around the room, not seeing anyway to draw an alchemy circle. Without magic or a weapon, he'll have no way out.

Suddenly, a familiar and haunting voice echoes in the room. Grimm!

"You think this is over? You think you really bested the Reaper so easily, Drayk? Mark my words. We. Will. Meet. Again," Grimm's voice echoes in the small room.

"You're still alive?" Drayk asks in shock, almost not believing his ears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wake up Drayk!" Roku shouts as she splashes water in his face.

He jumps upright, now sitting up in the dirt. His eyes wander all around, seeing the townsfolk gathered around from afar. Roku, Xel and the old man are all standing right in front of him. Drayk makes eye contact with Roku, her eyes are lit up with joy. The claw marks on her face remind Drayk of everything that has happened up until now. He has spent so much time with this woman, and she still seems just as happy to see him.

"How long have I been out?" Drayk asks.

"About four days," Xel replies, "Roku woke up only a few hours ago."

"I had the strangest dream just before you woke me," Drayk starts, "Grimm said we'll meet him again."

"In a small wooden room," Roku says softly.

"Umm. Yeah. How'd you know?" Drayk asks her.

"I had the same dream," Roku explains.

"It might be more than mere coincidence Bringers of Hope," Xel states with surprise in his tone.

"Drayk destroyed Grimm though, didn't he?" Roku says as she turns to face Drayk.

"We can't let that bother us now. We must find the Sword of Light and redeem Lady Parocaav," Drayk replies to her trying to change the subject.

The old man starts to speak in a quiet, yet serious tone, "Lady Yarr resides in the small town of Ember just outside the capital city. She has been part of the Resistance since the beginning. She is a secretive priestess serving directly under Lady Parocaav herself."

"Isn't she a high priestess in the Elites as well?" Roku asks the old man as soon as he finishes speaking.

"Yes. She has been working on the inside of the Elites in their high ranks for many years," the old man explains.

"Ember. That name sounds familiar," Drayk wonders out loud.

"It should dear boy. The Piro family is very well-known there and it is the birthplace of your mother," the old man tells him, not breaking eye contact.

"That's why it sounds so familiar," Drayk chuckles as he rubs the back of his head with his hand.

"So what will become of all of you now that your town is gone?" Roku politely asks the old man.