Chapter XXI: Ember, Town of Secrets

The black aura completely surrounds Kraag, flowing from the top of him like smoke. His left hand sparks and he thrusts in Roku's direction. A ball of pure dark energy shoots at her. She cuts through it with one of her blades and it explodes on impact. The blast throws Roku off balance and she loses her grip on her blade. Just before it hits the ground, Kraag appears and grabs it. He touches Roku on the shoulder with one finger and the aura disappears at the point where they touch. Another small explosion knocks Roku further off balance to the point where she topples over.

Roku grabs at the wound on her shoulder and her hand glows white to heal it. Kraag looks down at her with pity. It shortly turns to sorrow and a small sense of regret. For a moment, he sees his little girl that he lost all those years ago. He believed her to be dead. Now before him, is Riinah. The only thing he truly cherished. Memories from the past flash before him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lord Xivaac. The woman I have been seeing will be bearing my child in a few months. You have to understand why I must leave," Kraag tells him with a stern tone.

"You will do no such thing," Xivaac says instantly.

"It's not a request."

"You may leave until she is old enough to suffice for herself. No longer. That I will allow."

"We shall see if I come back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blood drips down onto the floor. Kraag wipes blood from face, a newly engraved scar is very tender to the touch is felt. Through blurry vision he looks at Lance just in time to see him laugh. He looks around to see his castle in chaos. His people are lying dead all around him. Riinah has been lost and Synn is furious by all that has transpired. The pain on his face is nothing compared to the pain he can feel in his heart.

"Ironic. Isn't it Kraag?" Lance jokes.

"Shut up you bastard!" Kraag roars.

"If any man deserves such a fate, it's you!"

"I said shut up!!"

"You've lost your throne, wife and child. You may as well go crawling back to that insidious God of Darkness."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The stairs leading up to Xivaac's chambers has never seemed so endless. Kraag runs his fingers along his scar as he walks up the tall tower. A physical reminder that will forever haunt him: the day he lost everything that truly meant anything to him at all. A reminder of when he did have to crawl back to the Dark Lord. The day he will never again have a chance to free himself of the darkness.

"I hope my people will know that every wrong I have done has been to protect them from Xivaac," Kraag sighs under his breath as he knocks on the wooden door.

Xivaac replies from the other side of the door, "You may enter Kraag. I knew you'd be back."

Kraag walks into the room with his head held low and his eyes looking straight at the floor. After all that has happened, the last thing that he wants to do is look this evil being in the eye. The door closes behind him as he enters the middle of the room.

"No need to be so glum. You knew that the Resistance would eventually find a way to get to you," Xivaac sighs, "Why do you think I always told you to never get involved with mortal emotions and needs?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You knew! Didn't you?!" Kraag yells as he bursts into the throne room.

Xivaac and Karleigh watch him walk up to them. A sour look is sprawled across his face and it is clear he is angry.