Chapter XVII: Singe, Resistance Outpost

The sound of Roku's voice slowly fades away. Everything for Drayk goes black. He cannot see anything. Emptiness all around. Drayk tries to speak but he can't even hear his own voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A young boy, about ten years of age, sits in his room playing with toys. The sound of a woman's voice is calling out from outside the boy's room. He stands to his feet and races out of the room. At the end of the hallway, the woman is waiting for him. She has long solid white hair, although she is only in her mid thirties. A beauty mark sits on the right of her mouth and her skin is rather pink. Her hands are grasping her stomach. Sweat is dripping from her face.

"Find the bag Drayk," the woman tells him, "The baby's coming."

"Yes mother," Drayk replies as he runs down the hall to the master bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drayk is pacing back and forth along a wall. Lance walks up next to him and sets his hand on his shoulder.

"You'll be a big brother anytime now kiddo," Lance smiles.

"I know father. I'm not sure how I feel," Drayk sighs.

A young White Mage walks into the small waiting area and announces, "Lance Kirkwood. You have a new daughter. Come with me if you'd like to meet her."

Lance stands up and starts to walk over towards the mage. Drayk runs over and clings to his father's arm. They follow the mage down the hall to see the woman holding their new baby girl.

"She is so precious," Lance says.

"I'd like to name her Samantha Renee," the woman tells him.

Drayk is standing at the edge of the bed in awe. The sight of his new baby sister is before him. His eyes widen real big with curiosity. A thousand little questions come to his young mind.

"Sammi," Drayk whispers nervously with a smile on his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The town sits in silence with their heads bowed down as Lance and Drayk walk to their home. Sammi is being carried in the blanket given to them by the White Mages. A great sorrow is felt throughout the townsfolk as they get passed by the freshly broken family. As they approach their home, a neighbor stops them.

"We've heard about what happened to Claire," the man speaks softly, "My condolences."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Train me dad!" Drayk shouts out.

Lance is relaxing in the grass out front of their house. He has only been back for a few hours from the mission he was sent on for the Resistance. His eyes roll in his head, but he knows he can't say no to his son. He has always hoped Drayk would follow in his footsteps as a warrior.

"Alright son," Lance smiles, "First thing in the morning. You will be my pupil. I will teach you the basis of what you will need to know about armed combat and use of alchemy in battle."

"Yay!" Drayk exclaims with excitement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on Sammi!" Drayk shouts, "I need a training partner and all my friends are busy!"

"No! You cut my arm last time and it left a scar!" Sammi cries.

"Oh come on, you're almost seven years old now. You can take it," Drayk begs.

"You haven't stopped training for months Drayk. Why?" Sammi asks with big innocent eyes looking up at him.

"I am about to turn seventeen! I'll be old enough to join the Resistance," Drayk explains, "I want to help put an end this war. It's why I started training. I want this senseless slaughter to come to an end."