Chapter 2: Last Farewells

This chapter is dedicated to my beloved idol....

kostopolopoulos

Jade's POV

My heart sank. I stood rooted to the ground, shocked. The slip with my name was in there twice!  

TWICE FOR GOODNESS SAKE! DAMN...

I just hope that this was all a dream - a nightmare, a horrid nightmare and I would wake up and find myself back on my soft cozy bed.  

But No...

Here I am, in the square, selected for the 32nd Annual Hunger Games. Dawn gasped as I slowly dragged myself to the stage. I sat stood there, beside...what's her name again...? Oh whatever lets just call her voliet hairred lady. So I stood beside her. She headed for the glass bowl with the boys' names. Her hand dived into the sea of names and mix them around as i scanned the faces of the boys, filled with fear.

"Jones Gingerlock"

Everyone turned their heads towards that unlucky guy, some boys' faces filled with relief and some sighed.

Ken's POV

"Jones Gingerlock"

What? He's just 12 years old! I looked at that unlucky guy beside me and I could see his eyes filled with tears as his jaw dropped. "I volunteer!" I blurted out. Eveyone turned their heads at me as Jones look at me quizzically and whispered "What? Why?"

I ignored him as I made my way to the stage confidently. Finally, I am going to see what the Mighty Capitol looks like. I climbed up the stairs, smirking as I walk towards Jannie. Jannie looked at me smiling but I could see that she is curious to know why I volunteered. "Well, hello there young man, and may I say, you look lovely today. So tell me, what does your name happens to be?" she asked as she passed me the microphone.

I looked into the seas of faces and snatched the microphone from her beautifully decorated hands and boldly talked into the microphone "I am Ken, Ken Austin and it is my honour to volunteer for the 32nd Hunger Games!" and I handed the microphone back to Jannie and stood beside Jade.

"Well, may I present, the tributes representing District 9 for the 32nd Hunger Games! Happy hunger games, and may the odds, be EVER..in your favour" Jannie exclaimed, dragging the 'ever' in her sentence and placed the microphone back on the stand. And she ushered us into the Justice Building.

When led inside, I looked around. Well, not bad...

Jade's POV

The Peacekeepers dragged me into a room and Ken to another. Well, I guess its the room where we're going to say out final farewells. I took a quick look at my surroundings...hmm...impressive I guess.  

The carpet is about an inch deep and the windows with bright flowery curtains, the the chairs and tables were made out of fine wood, neatly polished. The walls were painted with yellow and have a never ending pattern of rice grains...or I think it is.

Suddenly, the door swung open and I immediately knew who it was, Dawn. She ran and hugged me, her eyes filled with tears-tears of sadness, we both knew that I couldn't come out, alive.

"Dawn, you know where to get the vegetables and fruits right? And the fishes?" I asked, my voice a little wobbly. She nodded and I continued "Well, go there first thing in the morning. Make sure no one notice you when you go. If the Peacekeepers are going to be in town, go there before sunrise, wear dark clothings. And... just... just make sure you're healthy"

At that moment, Dawn started sobbing in my arms. I looked at her with teary eyes and whispered "Don't be sad, don't cry. I'm going to die some day anyways.." Just then, the Peacekeepers roughly open the door amd dragged her out of the room. I wasn't expecting any more visitors so I started wondering around the expensively decorated room. Suddenly the door flung open, I have another visitor...WHO?