Chapter 3

Hermione Granger could say, to the second, the exact moment her life was ruined.

The day in question started out innocently enough. In fact, the whole day was quite benign, anticlimactic actually, if you think about it. Of course, it didn't really ruin anyone else's life but hers so people could be biased. In any event, it was a clear, blustery September day – another ordinary Wednesday in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Like everyone else Hermione ate breakfast at the Great Hall and like everyone else she headed for her first class after – in her case it was Transfiguration with the Slytherins.

oOoOoOoOoOo

"Alright," McGonagall settled the class down. "Today we will be learning about-"

A student walked in, interrupting her introduction. Naturally the whole class looked at the door and watched the student walk up to the professor. The student was female, tall, and slender. Sunlight streaming in through the classroom windows emphasized some of the highlights in her strawberry blonde hair as she moved toward the front with the grace of a ballerina. She had a delicate, heart-shaped face and stunning blue eyes framed by extremely long lashes. Everyone, of course, was curious about the new stranger but suffice it to say, most of the boys were transfixed by her and some of the girls were already beginning to get jealous.

"Can I help you, Ms...?" McGonagall asked her when she reached the front.

"Genevieve Harrington." She had a lilting, musical voice with a slight accent. "I apologize for being late but Professor Dumbledore wanted to speak to me this morning as I arrived late last night. He told me to talk to you and give you this." She handed over a note.

"Very well," McGonagall replied after finding the note satisfactory. "Welcome to Hogwarts Ms. Harrington." She smiled at the young girl. "According to this note you were sorted into Gryffindor. I am Professor McGonagall, Head of Gryffindor house and these," she motioned to the class who were pretending not to listen. "Are your classmates."

"As I'm sure you've already heard," McGonagall addressed the class this time. "This is Ms. Genevieve Harrington. She is obviously new here and I expect you to show her a proper Hogwarts welcome." She turned to Genevieve. "At present we have Gryffindors and Slytherins in this class." Turning to back to the class, McGonagall added, "Ms. Granger and Mr. Weasley are the prefects for Gryffindor. I expect you both to help your new housemate settle in." Some of the Slytherin boys looked disappointed at that. "You may sit over there with Ms. Granger."

Genevieve accordingly took a seat next to Hermione and both girls exchanged smiles as McGonagall resumed the lesson.

"I'm Hermione, by the way," Hermione said once class ended holding out her hand.

"Genevieve," the student answered accepting the hand. "Can you tell me where the Charms classroom is?"

"Oh, I'm heading that way myself. I'll show you."

By this time Ron and Harry had joined them and introductions were once again exchanged.

"Ah, Harry Potter," Genevieve commented after Harry introduced himself. "I've heard about you." She didn't make any further comments for which Harry was grateful.

"So where are you from Genevieve?" Hermione asked as they walked down the hallway.

"I came from Beauxbatons," she answered.

"That explains the French accent."

"I suppose so. Although I was born in St. Mungo's and grew up near Canterbury. We moved to France when my father's business expanded. My mother is French and went to Beauxbatons too so she had no problem letting me go there even though I was English and naturally received a Hogwarts letter as well."