Chapter 13

"How am I supposed to get in?" Hermione asked as she followed Draco down the hall.

"I changed the charms so that the room will recognize your magical signature. You'll be able to see the door even if others can't."

"So basically, it's as if a secret keeper told me where Sophie was."

"Exactly."

oOoOoOoOo

"Hermione!"

Hermione almost fell over when Sophie launched herself in her arms as soon as they entered the suite.

"Why didn't you come visit me? Didn't I tell you to come visit? I got lots of new toys! C'mon, I'll show you," Sophie said excitedly, pulling on Hermione's hand.

"Slow down, Izzy," Draco admonished. "I got her to come here but you wouldn't want to scare her off by being demanding would you?"

Sophie let go of Hermione's hand and ran behind her towards Draco. "Thanks Drake!" she exclaimed giving Draco a hug. "Now I have a new friend and I promise I will never cry again. Never, never."

"Uh huh," Draco laughed, ruffling Sophie's hair as she let go to run back to Hermione.

"Izzy?" Hermione asked Draco.

"My nickname for her. Short for Isabella."

"C'mon Hermione, I want to show you my room," Sophie declared, pulling Hermione into her bedroom.

Inside was nothing short of every little girl's dream room. Everything was pink – from the light pink walls to the frilly bedspread to the large closet down to another couch and the cushions on the window seat. What got Hermione's attention was the beautiful mural on one of the walls of a princess in a garden with the castle in the background and the large bookshelf right beside it.

"You sure have a lot of books Sophie," Hermione observed.

"I love stories. My brother reads to me most of the time but he's starting to teach me how to read," Sophie said excitedly.

"That's great Sophie," Hermione said still reeling from the thought of Malfoy teaching a little girl to read. "I like to read too."

"Maybe you could read to me sometime."

"I'd like that," Hermione smiled.

"Let's go see my dolls."

oOoOoOoOo

Sophie had so much stuff to show Hermione, she didn't notice the time fly by. A couple of hours later, an exhausted Sophie fell asleep on Draco's lap, who was sitting on the couch the whole time enjoying the sight of Hermione being dragged from point A to point B. Hermione herself collapsed on the other couch. She watched as Draco gently fixed Sophie's rumpled dress and swept her hair from her face. The sight somewhat unnerved Hermione – Draco Malfoy seemed almost...human.

Malfoy must've felt her staring at him because he looked up and cleared his throat.

"She usually has a nap at this time of the day," He explained. "I should bring her to bed."

From the couch Hermione watched Draco carry Sophie to her bedroom and tuck her into bed.

Who knew Malfoy could be something other than a prick.

Draco walked out of the room and into the little kitchen.

"Do you want anything to drink?" He asked, opening up the fridge.

"Some water would be nice thanks," Hermione replied.

Draco brought over 2 water bottles, handed one to Hermione and sat down on the opposite couch. A few moments of silence followed as Hermione drank.