Chapter 11

Life goes on. That was a lesson Hermione learned over the next few days. No matter what happens, the sun will always rise the following morning and the world will keep spinning. Life at Hogwarts was no different – it went on as usual. Hermione was irrevocably changed that night and she now had to reevaluate everything about herself and find out what she really wanted in life. However, she still had to go through the motions. True to form, Hermione made the best out of the situation. She studied as hard as ever (after all, she wasn't going to waste her time at school and give Genevieve a sense of satisfaction if she failed) and maintained such a façade of her old self that it even convinced both Harry and Ginny that she was completely alright.

At first it was difficult. Though her confrontation with Ron helped make her feel a bit better, it still stung when he and Genevieve announced that they were dating the very next day. It wasn't so much that she had any feelings left for Ron – it just reminded her of how stupid she was to believe him and his lies. The pity stares she got from everyone didn't help matters much either. The morning after the HGF (or Head Girl Fiasco, as she liked to call it), people's stares were mostly curious and inquisitive, wondering if she was going to suddenly break down and cry in front of them. When Ron and Genevieve made their announcement the next day, curious stares turned into those of pity. Hermione never really cared about what others thought of her, but pity was something that she absolutely despised and did not want. Luckily, the twins' pin gave her some relief since stares of pity would quickly turn into looks of hurt and confusion as well as exclamations of "Ow! Who hit me?!" and "Why did you do that?!" to their innocent companions. Hermione loved the twins more than ever during those few days. However, none of these compared to the hurt Hermione felt inside her. When classes became a bit dull, Hermione would find herself spacing out and thinking of Cedric. She would think about how she would be with him now if her jump hadn't been interrupted. The longing to be with him was so intense it hurt.

Eventually, Hermione soon became yesterday's news. The amount of people mysteriously smacked in the head grew smaller and smaller until there were none left. As for Cedric, though she still thought of him every day and night, Hermione accepted that for now, this was where she was and she just had to make the best of it.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Unfortunately, fate decided to throw her another curve ball. About a week after the HGF, Hermione was at dinner when Dumbledore made an announcement.

"Good evening everyone," Dumbledore's voice instantly quieted the Great Hall. "I'm sorry to interrupt your dinner but I have an important announcement to make. Tonight we have a special guest," Dumbledore continued, stretching his arm out to call the guest to the front.

Hermione's breath hitched and her heart started pounding in her chest as she looked to the front and found Mr. Amos Diggory, Cedric's dad.

"Mr. Diggory," Dumbledore continued speaking though Hermione was barely aware of him. She was staring at the closest living link she had to Cedric in years. "Is here today to present a great addition to Hogwarts – the Cedric Diggory scholarship!"

Hermione's attention was instantly reclaimed by the headmaster at the mention of Cedric's name.

"Cedric was of course, a great student at this school. We are all proud to honour him with this scholarship in his name. Before I give out the details, I'd like to call on someone very dear to him, to speak about the fine young man that inspired this award."

Hermione waited anxiously to find out who this person was. She half-expected Dumbledore to call on her but of course, she was being silly. No one knew about her relationship with Cedric. Nonetheless, the name Dumbledore did call came as a shock.

"Ms. Chang, if you please."

With a proud smile on her face, Cho stood up from the Ravenclaw table and flipped her shiny, black hair back. She haughtily walked up to the front, clearly loving the attention.