Chapter 12

"Hermione, I'd like you to meet my brother Draco," Sophie's polite introduction broke the tense silence. Her voice also broke Draco out of his shock.

"I think you should get ready for bed now," Draco said tightly looking down at Sophie.

"But –"

"Sophia Isabella, I'd like for you to go to your room and get ready for bed now please," Draco said sternly.

"Okay," said Sophie reluctantly. "Goodnight Hermione! I hope you come visit me again."

Hermione was so engrossed with their exchange she was startled when she was addressed.

"Goodnight Sophie," Hermione answered slowly still looking at Draco's furious face. Frankly, she was a bit scared of the confrontation that would surely happen once Sophie was out of the room.

Once the little girl entered her room, Draco locked her door and cast a silencing spell on the room.

"I can't believe you'd do that! What if she needs help or something," Hermione admonished, trying to delay the inevitable.

"Not that it's any of your business but it's a one-way silencing charm. We can hear her but she can't hear us," Draco bit back. "Speaking of things that are none of your business, what are you doing here?"

"Me?! What are you doing here?! Keeping a girl locked up! I didn't even know you had a sister! Does Dumbledore know about this?" Hermione asked, talking faster, her voice getting higher with agitation.

"Of course he knows!" Draco was yelling now. "You think I can hide a little girl in this castle without him knowing?!"

"You know what," He added in an exasperated tone. "Screw this. How much for your silence?"

"What?" Hermione asked, shocked.

"How much do I have to give you to make sure you don't go running to Scarhead?"

"I wasn't – I'm not –" sputtered Hermione indignantly.

"Well, in that case, the door is that way," Draco said pointing to the exit.

"I'm not leaving until I get some answers," Hermione declared stubbornly.

"Like I said, this is none of your business so you don't deserve any answers," Draco replied.

"Fine, I'll just have to ask Sophie when I come back then."

Hermione suddenly found herself pushed against the wall, with Draco's wand pointed at her throat.

"You will not come back here, do you hear me?" Draco said in a low voice.

"Why not?" Hermione glared back. "I'm not scared of you. Sophie invited me to come back."

"I do not want my sister associating with mudbloods who aren't even good enough for pathetic Weasels."

Slap!

Draco's face stung as Hermione broke free from his grip and ran out the door.

oOoOoOoOo

Over the next couple of days, Hermione tried her best to ignore Malfoy. To her, it was as if he simply didn't exist. Surprisingly, he made this easy by ignoring her as much as she did him. His last words to her cut her deeply – mostly because she knew they were true. Then again, it was just Malfoy. He always knew the right words to say to bring her down. She should be used to that by now, used to dismissing anything that came out of his mouth, true or not. After all, it was just Malfoy. Other people would have had to dig deep in order to affect Hermione with their words. Even when they did find something, they would've thought of the consequences, would've planned out their offense, would've made sure they really were mad at her and wanted to hurt her before hurling whatever they have out at Hermione. If other people had said that to her, Hermione would've taken it to heart. That person would've had to have been really malicious against her. Malfoy, on the other hand, just had a talent for finding the weakest spot in people and going after it. Whether or not he was truly malicious didn't matter, it just came naturally to him. So as much as it stung, Hermione refused to think about it anymore.