Chapter 33

"Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Yes Harry," Hermione answered with a determined look on her face. "I want to do this. He needs me. And I...I – "

I need him.

Harry looked at his friend sceptically. He was surprised to find Dumbledore in the hospital wing after he woke from his nap, but the sight of Hermione struggling to get out of bed told him that she knew about Draco. Harry shook his head. Barely hours had passed after waking up from a five day coma (due to the fact that she nearly died, he might add) and she was already trying to fight another battle. But if he knew his best friend, he knew that nothing in the world would stop her when she set her mind to something. He just hoped, for her sake, that this was a battle she could win.

"Well, are you just going to stand there and stare at me or help me out?"

Harry almost wanted to laugh at the tone of her voice. She sounded so much like the bossy eleven year old he met on the Hogwarts Express. He sighed. Things were so much simpler then – back when magic was simply a new and wonderful thing and the only thing he had to worry about was the difference between a quaffle and the snitch.

With another shake of his head, Harry focused back on the present. He held his hand out to Hermione and helped her off the bed.

"Easy there," Harry said, putting his arms around Hermione when she sagged against him. "I don't think your legs are quite ready – "

"I'll be fine," Hermione said shortly. "Just give me a minute."

Harry wisely bit his tongue as Hermione tried to steady herself. After a moment her legs eventually regained some of their strength and Hermione let go of Harry's hand and walked towards the door. Harry followed close behind.

oOoOoOoOoOo

"Hermione!"

As soon as Hermione set foot into the suite, a little blonde bundle launched herself in her arms.

"Sophie!" Hermione said, holding the little girl tightly. She buried her face in Sophie's curls. "Oh, how I've missed you!"

Hermione walked over to the couch and gently sat down, keeping Sophie in her lap. She gave the girl a kiss on the forehead. "How are you doing? Are you ok?"

Sophie nodded gravely. Then she tightened her arms around Hermione's neck and leaned her head against the older girl's shoulder. Hermione became alarmed when she felt Sophie start to shake and her shoulder became wet.

"Sophie, what's wrong?" Hermione asked.

"I'm...I'm scared," Sophie said, her voice shaking. "You left before and I don't...know when...you'll leave me again."

"Oh Sophie," Hermione said sadly, gently smoothing Sophie's curls from her face. "I'm so sorry about that. I'm not going to leave you again. I'll always be here for you ok?"

Sophie lifted her head and looked at Hermione. "Promise?"

"Promise," Hermione answered. "I will always be your friend."

"Good," Sophie said with a big smile. She gave Hermione another hug.

Harry watched as Hermione held Sophie tightly. It saddened him to see that Hermione had a whole other part of her life he knew nothing about. Despite everything that Malfoy told him, he was still shocked when a curly-haired little girl walked in with Narcissa Malfoy a few days ago to visit Hermione in the hospital wing. Now, he was shocked once again at how attached the two girls seemed to be with each other.

"So if you're awake..." Sophie's voice broke Harry from his musings. He almost laughed when the little girl scrunched up her nose in thought. This is what Hermione must've looked like as a little girl.