Chapter 7

Hermione Granger was finally at peace. She closed her eyes after jumping off the tower and only thought of one face – Cedric. She felt the wind slice through her from below and the rain pelting her from above but she didn't care. None of that mattered now. Soon, she would be with him and that's all that mattered. Soon – she felt a violent tug on her collar and suddenly she was thrown up and over what felt like a broom.

No! Cedric! Hermione thought. She felt the broom rise then hover. She was afraid to open her eyes. She didn't want to open her eyes. This isn't happening. She should be dead. She should be with him now.

Hermione heard someone panting – obviously whoever "saved" her. Only with Hermione would curiosity get the better of her even just after a suicide attempt. She looked up just as lightning flashed, illuminating shocking blonde hair.

Draco felt the weight shift on the broom and looked down at the same time.

"Malfoy?!"

"Granger?!"

In shock, Draco lost control of the broom and it started to drop fast. Instinct made Hermione hold on tighter. A few moments after Draco stabilized the broom, Hermione broke the silence.

"Why did you do it?" she asked as Draco moved the broom toward the school.

"Believe me Granger, if I had known it was you, I would've let you die."

"Why don't you just drop me then?" Malfoy always riled her up and despite the strenuous circumstances, this time was no different. His answer made anger flood through Hermione and for that brief moment, she was her old self again.

"I don't want to become a murderer just for you," Draco replied glaring fiercely at her. They had reached the astronomy tower now.

"You mean you're not one already?" Hermione shot back before she could stop herself.

Draco roughly twisted the broom, unceremoniously dropping Hermione on the floor of the tower, and quickly flew out into the night.

All her thoughts and emotions hit Hermione hard and she slumped against the cold wall and sobbed in anguish.