Chapter 22

Hermione took a big breath before stepping off her porch. She really hoped that Dumbledore got her letter because she had no idea where she was going. Luckily, she didn't have to wait long. She barely took five steps away from her house when she saw a familiar shape make its way towards her.

"Harry!" Hermione practically jumped into her friend's arms, dropping her trunk heavily on the sidewalk.

"Hey Hermione," Harry said, tightening his arms around her. "I missed you so much."

"Me too," Hermione replied. "But wait," she said, reluctantly pulling herself out of his embrace. "How'd you get here? As glad as I am to see you, I can't believe Dumbledore let you come! It's too dangerous for you to be out – "

"Calm down Hermione," Harry said with an easy smile. "First of all, no amount of danger would keep me from being here right now. Once Dumbledore told me of your reply to his letter, we both knew I'd be the one to come get you. He knew he couldn't stop me so he just sent some reinforcements along."

"Reinforcements?"

"Wotcher, Hermione!" Tonks greeted, appearing around the corner. "We're sure glad to have you back."

"Tonks!" Hermione eagerly gave her a hug.

"You would've been a great loss to both the Order and the wizarding world," said another voice.

Hermione quickly turned around to find Moody who had just apparated to their spot. "Professor!" Hermione exclaimed with a smile.

Moody held out his hand but Hermione ignored it and proceeded to give the old Auror a hug instead.

"Alright, I think it's best to get a move on," Moody said gruffly but he was smiling.

As they started to walk, Hermione looked back on her house one last time. She noticed her parents watching them from the front window. Harry followed her gaze.

"Hermione, we were here before you came out. We heard what happened in there," Harry said, squeezing her hand. "If – "

"It's alright, Harry, really," Hermione reassured him. "I know where I need to be. It's not my fault they didn't want me."

Harry put his arm around her and pulled her close to his side as they walked. "I guess we're both orphans then," he observed.

"I guess so."

"Oh well, you'll always have me."

"And that is more than enough."

oOoOoOoOo

A huge welcoming party met Hermione as soon as the Entrance doors of Hogwarts opened. The first person she saw was Luna.

"Luna!" Hermione exclaimed, enthusiastically giving the blonde girl a big hug. "You were brilliant! Thank you so much. I wouldn't be here without you."

"Don't worry about it. I didn't do it for you," Luna added, catching Hermione off guard. "I did it for our sanity." She said with a smile, making Hermione laugh.

There were so many people Hermione didn't quite know what to do. She hugged a squealing Ginny next, then Neville, then Professor Dumbledore, a suspiciously teary-eyed McGonagall, an openly crying Hagrid, and the list went on and on. In the midst of greeting all the people, Hermione noticed Draco out of the corner of her eye, standing off to one side, away from the crowd.

Time stopped when their eyes met. Hermione couldn't hear anything, feel anything, see anything. It was as if the rest of the world was blurred out, leaving only her and Draco. Remembering the last time she saw him, Hermione directed a shy smile in his direction. For a moment, it looked like he was about to return it but suddenly, a hard look came into his eyes turning him into the cold Malfoy she used to know. Before she knew it, he turned around and walked away.

oOoOoOoOo

Draco quickly made his way to the first empty classroom he could find. He put his hand to his chest, willing his heart to stop pounding. Seeing her again was too much. He knew showing up with all the Gryffindors was risky but no matter how hard he reasoned against it, he still found himself standing there, watching the door, waiting for her arrival. And when he saw her it was all worth it. When their eyes met, the whole world melted away. All the worry and anxiety he didn't even know he was feeling disappeared. Seeing her made him feel different, better. And that scared him. He wasn't used to feeling so much for someone. He wasn't used to depending on someone, needing someone that much. And when she smiled at him, it was all he could do not to push aside all those people in order to get to her. And therein was the problem. He would always be last. Draco hated being second to anyone and in her life, he would always be last. All these people were allowed to wait for her and welcome her with open arms and beaming smiles. His situation and hers prevented him from being the first one at the door. She would be able to smile at them, be there for them, care for them anytime, while he remained an afterthought – the one she can finally see after she was able to tear herself away from them. Her last night at Hogwarts proved that to him. The realization made him stop short and put his walls up. He had to walk away before those people realized just how much power Hermione Granger had over Draco Malfoy.

oOoOoOoOo

Hermione wrung her hands nervously as she made her way to Sophie's room. She had gone there earlier to see Sophie, who was very excited to see Hermione again, but she left as soon as she could, not having enough courage to face Draco just yet. The cold look he gave her scared her and hurt her, a lot. She supposed it was what she deserved after leaving him like she did.

At first she decided to play it his way. If he wanted to be mad at her then fine, she would ignore him and they could go back to being enemies. The thought didn't last long. Eventually, she couldn't take it anymore. She needed to see him. Her stay at her parents' house made her see just how important he was to her. Damn her pride. He could yell at her, hex her, curse her, do whatever he wanted. Hermione was willing to risk it all, give up her pride, if it meant that he would be her friend again.

So as soon as everyone was asleep Hermione snuck out of Gryffindor tower and made her way to Sophie's room. She wasn't sure he'd even be there but she decided to take the chance.

oOoOoOoOo

Draco didn't know what he was doing there. Well, of course he was waiting for her. The question is, why? He knew that whatever this thing was between them wouldn't, couldn't work out. They were from two different worlds and he needed to stop this before they got hurt. It was too late for him. He had invested too much of himself already and he would be hurt no matter what, but Hermione, she could still leave unscathed. After all, he was just another friend to her. The thought pained him.

Draco looked up at the sound of the door opening. He heard Hermione take a deep breath before stepping through the door and into his field of view. For a moment they just looked at each other.

"Draco, I – "

Whatever Hermione was about to say was cut off. The sound of his name from her lips undid him. Nothing else mattered. In three strides he had her held tightly in his arms. Hermione wrapped her arms around him and held on just as tight, neither wanting to let go. In that moment she felt safe, she felt complete, she finally felt home.

"Draco, I'm so sorry."

"Shh," he soothed. "It's ok. I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have said any of those things – "

Hermione took his face in her hands. "It's ok. Just forget about it. I'm here now."

"Just don't leave me again," Draco murmured, tightening his hold on Hermione, not wanting to let go. Her scent, the way she felt in his arms – he couldn't get enough of her. He searched her face, caressed her hair, as if he couldn't quite believe that she was there and she would disappear any second. Once he had her in his arms he felt like a drowning man who had just broke the surface. He had been drowning for days. He needed her like he needed air. The realization hit him. Merlin, he was in love with Hermione Granger.