Chapter 24

Hermione stood frozen in shock. A million thoughts went through her head but she remained paralyzed. Draco was kissing her. She didn't know what to do. She shouldn't be doing this. His lips felt soft and warm against hers but still, she didn't move.

Draco gently kissed Hermione's lips for a few moments waiting for her to respond. When her lips remained still, he started to pull away, deeply disappointed.

As soon as Draco started to pull away, all thoughts went out of Hermione's head. She felt an agonizing sense of loss and she acted on instinct. When Draco's lips left hers, Hermione pulled him in with a gasp and captured his lips in a searing kiss.

Time stopped. There really was no other way to describe it. At that moment, nothing else mattered. When Hermione pulled him in, Draco wasted no time in showing her just how he felt about her. He poured out his whole self, body and soul into that kiss. She made him feel invincible. She made him feel like he could do anything - even be a good person. She made him feel hope. To finally be with her after all this time, after everything they've been through, the feeling was indescribable. Merlin, how he loved her! He knew that now. He loved Hermione Granger. The impossibility of the situation didn't even matter in that moment. With her in his arms, he was never more sure of anything in his life.

Hermione matched his fervor. She'd never had a kiss like this before. A thousand emotions rushed through her threatening to burst but she didn't feel overwhelmed. When their lips met that second time everything came together. Everything felt...right. She knew she needed Draco but this, this was different. He was never closer to her than he was at that moment. At that moment, she knew him. He usually let his guard down around her but not like this. At that moment he was an open book, completely hers to read and she couldn't get enough. Her body went haywire. Her heart beat faster than a hummingbird, there was a stampede in her gut, and her whole body was on fire. She felt complete when she was with him but this was different. He made her feel alive. He made everything come together, made her sure of herself. In that moment she knew who she was. She knew her place in the world. Her place was with him.

They reluctantly broke apart for air. They stared at each other for a few moments, gasping. With her flushed cheeks and bright eyes, Draco had never seen anyone look so beautiful.

"What?" Hermione whispered questioningly at his expression.

"Beautiful," Draco murmured, giving her a gentle kiss.

Hermione gave him a soft smile.

Draco pulled her onto his lap and held her close as they watched the river go by.

"I guess this changes things," he said, breaking the silence.

"Does it have to?" Hermione asked, turning around in his arms to face him.

Draco looked at her incredulously. "You have to be daft not to know how I feel about you after that kiss. And I know you're definitely not indifferent either."

"Are you sure about that?" Hermione asked blankly. At Draco's shocked face, she decided to take pity on him. "I'm kidding," she said, giving him a brilliant smile. She kissed him on the cheek. "I care about you." Draco raised his eyebrow. "A lot," she added with a smile.

"That's better," he said with a grin, before pulling her in for a real kiss.

"Alright," Hermione said with a sigh after they broke apart. "Seriously though, this can't change things."

"What do you mean? It's a little late for that don't you think?"

"Just hear me out," Hermione said, pulling herself out of his arms. She started walking along the shore. "I like you and you like me. But out there," she waved her arms at the forest above. "We can't be together. My friends – "