Chapter 8

A dull ache in her neck woke Hermione up the next morning. She opened her eyes and found herself in an awkward and uncomfortable position with her head on a cold, stone floor, her right arm crushed under her body, and her legs bent at a weird angle. She was laying on her side and the stone wall right against her nose kept her from being in the more comfortable fetal position. She sat up quickly, dazed and disoriented. The sharp pain in her neck from the sudden movement reminded her of where she was and the memories of last night assaulted her. Her cold surroundings and cramped muscles were evidence that none of it had been a dream – everything really did happen. Her emotions threatened to overwhelm her again but after last night she found she didn't have the strength nor the tears left to cry anymore. She did not want to go back downstairs. Back to reality. Back to a life in shambles - the house of cards that collapsed in one fell swoop. She did not want to pick up the pieces.

Her determined, stubborn side made a brief appearance as she stood up and stretched her arms and legs. She briefly contemplated jumping out the window again but gasped when she turned around to do so. The most incredible sight met her eyes as Hermione stared out the tower window. It was early morning and the sun was just beginning to rise. The sky was a thousand different shades of pink, orange, yellow, red, and every colour you can possibly think of. As the sun rose and the light spread, the school grounds below came alive. The ground and the Forbidden Forest were coloured vibrant shades of green and brown. Hagrid's hut and the greenhouses were illuminated and washed with colour, while the lake started to sparkle. Everything was even more stunning, washed anew by the night's heavy storm. Hermione never realized how beautiful Hogwarts was. The sight took her breath away. It was as if the sunrise was made just for her.

Flashback

Hermione was studying late in the Gryffindor common room when she was startled by a tapping sound on the window. She was the only one left in the room so she opened the window to find a school owl holding its leg out to her. Surprised, she promptly untied the note attached and the owl flew away. She closed the window and hurried back to the couch where she was studying. Intrigued, she quickly unrolled the parchment.

H,

I'm worried about the 2nd task. I really need to talk to you. I'll pick you up in front of the Fat Lady later tonight at 5:30 am.

C

Hermione was glad that it was from Cedric and that she was going to meet him but part of her wondered about the odd time. Sure, it was difficult for them to meet in secret (which they've had to do because 1) they weren't expected to be together and it would make people talk and 2) Harry was still jealous of Cedric over the whole Cho thing so he would see it as a betrayal while everyone else would think she was "fraternizing with the enemy" and betraying her house and friendship with Harry) but Cedric never asked her to meet him at such a weird time.

"Well, he does have a quidditch game tomorrow," Hermione thought. "And they usually like to practice the morning before the game so he must want to talk to me before the practice."

Hermione was worried now. To make such an effort, Cedric must've really needed to talk to her.

Since it was past midnight, Hermione decided to pack up and get as much sleep as she could before he came. She brought her books up to her room, changed into what she planned to wear, grabbed her cloak, a pillow, and a blanket and went back to the common room. She then settled in on the couch, set her wand to wake her up, and promptly fell asleep.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Brrring!

Hermione's wand woke her up at 5:15. She quickly sent all her stuff to her room and went to the washroom to brush her teeth and fix herself up. Just before 5:30 she stepped through the Fat Lady's portrait. As if on cue, she spotted Cedric walking up the stairs. Hermione quickly walked up to Cedric and hugged him. He pulled her even closer to him for a few moments and then loosened his hold on her, his hand still around her waist. She looked up at him and noticed that he seemed kind of nervous. That reminded Hermione of all the worries she had when she read the note.

"Are you alright? What happened? What did the egg say?"

"Slow down, Hermione," Cedric told her giving her a smile. "I'm alright."

Hermione breathed deeply. "I thought you found out something bad about the task. Why did you need to talk to me at this hour then?"

"Is it so bad that I just really wanted to see you?" He asked touching the tip of her nose. Hermione blushed. Cedric continued. "I finally figured out what the egg says but I'll explain later. Right now, we don't have much time, I need to show you something." He seemed excited now. Cedric let her go and took her hand.

"What are you –"

"Just follow me," Cedric interrupted, pulling her towards the astronomy tower.

They finally arrived at the tower and the first thing Hermione noticed when Cedric opened the door was a broom leaning against the wall by one of the windows.

"Cedric," Hermione said slowly, eyes wide as Cedric pulled her into the room. "That's a broom."

"Very smart Hermione," Cedric laughed. He let go of Hermione and picked up the broom. His tone shifted as he gave Hermione an intense gaze. "Do you trust me?" He asked, holding out a hand to her.

Hermione took a deep breath. "Yes," she said earnestly, locking her eyes with his.

Cedric gave her his crooked grin as he helped her onto the broom.

"You know I hate flying."

"Don't worry, I've got you," Cedric said as he climbed behind her. He wrapped his arms tightly around her waist and curled his fingers on the broom. "Here we go," he said as they rose and flew out the window.

Hermione shifted a bit and buried her face into his shoulder, her hands clutching Cedric's shirt tightly. Cedric looked down and breathed in her hair. They flew higher and farther towards the outskirts of the school.

"Hermione love," Cedric said, kissing the top of her head. "You have to look now." Hermione shook her head on his shoulder. "Please?"

Hermione looked up and met Cedric's eyes. She saw nothing but pure adoration there. She had never felt so safe. Sighing, she broke his gaze and turned around. The sight in front of her was absolutely stunning. Cedric had brought her to the cliffs and the sun was just beginning to rise. The world exploded in colour as the sun rose higher and higher out of the water. Everything was intensified as the water reflected every hue the sun and sky put out. She watched, mesmerized as the distant mountains changed colours and became alive.

"It's so beautiful," she whispered in awe.

Cedric was watching her. "Yes, you are."

Hermione turned around with a smile and was stunned at the look on his face. Cedric's face was breathtaking in the sunrise. The soft light from the sun highlighted the angles of his face and made him glow like an angel. His eyes were what captivated Hermione the most. The sun brought out blue flecks in his grey eyes, but the emotion in his gaze made it hard for Hermione to breathe.

"I love you Hermione."

Hermione's heart stopped. No guy had ever said that to her before. But, looking into Cedric's eyes she knew that she loved him too. Her heart swelled so much she thought it would explode.

"I love you too," she earnestly replied, matching his ardent gaze.

He smiled her favorite smile before he bent down and met her lips.

End Flashback

oOoOoOoOoOo

Hermione felt tears slide down her face as she watched the sunrise and remembered that day. Cedric had put so much effort into preparing and timing everything right so that the scene would be special when he told her he loved her. It was as if, like this one, the sunrise was made just for her. Hermione gasped softly as she had an epiphany. She wasn't meant to die last night. I mean, what are the chances that Malfoy, or anyone for that matter, would've been out flying last night and that he was able to save her? Hermione believed in fate and it seemed like she was meant to be here. She knew her life was still a mess and that it wasn't going to be easy but damn them all. Damn Ron and damn Genevieve. She would keep going for him. Harry or no Harry, she would get revenge on that bastard for taking Cedric away from her.

With her new resolve, Hermione made her way down the stairs.

Hiya my BabyQueens!! I promise this story is going to be a Dramione! It's just I want to set the scene perfect! Love you all x