Chapter 27

Draco opened his eyes to find a warm body nestled against him. He looked down at Hermione's sleeping figure and the memories of last night washed over him. With a sigh he bent his face close to her curls and breathed in her intoxicating sent. The latter part of the previous night was so incredible it made him want to smile but at the same time, his heart hurt. He didn't think it was actually possible for one's heart to hurt unless they were having a heart attack but there it was – the agonizing pain of losing the amazing woman he held in his arms.

His brave, stubborn lioness. Oh, how she fought for him last night! Despite his protests, despite his faults, she fiercely refused to leave his side. He didn't know why or how but she loved him. Though he was shocked, he was elated when her words finally sunk in. Hermione, the epitome of all that was good in the world, all that was good in his world, loved him, the scum who grovelled at the feet of a maniac. He still could not understand it. He loved her. He knew that with every fiber of his being but though he didn't verbally reciprocate her feelings, she gave her heart to him anyway. Part of him wishes that she was just a bit more selfish. She should have just agreed to break up with him. But no, Hermione saw through his lies and saw his fear. He knew that she would never believe him now if he told her he didn't want to be with her anymore. She would never believe him if he told her that this was just a game, just a phase, a momentary lapse of judgement on his part, an experiment – none of that was going to work. He could even tell her he hated her and she would see right through his facade. No, it would have to be worse. Words would not be enough. He would have to hit her where it hurt. For her own sake, he would have to crush her the only way he knew how.

He wished it didn't have to come to this. He didn't ever want to lose her but the thought of hurting her was a billion times worse. And now, he would have to do both. Draco winced. The pain in his heart was worse than the cruciatus, and he's had his share of those. This pain ran deeper, it consumed his entire being. He felt like his heart was weighed down with a thousand anvils while his soul was being ripped to shreds. A lone tear fell down his cheek as he gazed at her peaceful face. He closed his eyes and focused on the feel of her breaths against his skin.

It would be so easy to make the pain go away. All he had to do was give in and let go, lose himself in her and everything would be alright. No. Draco gathered his resolve. She didn't deserve this. She deserved so much better than this, so much better than him. He will not be selfish. It would be bloody difficult and excruciating but he would do it for her. He would do anything for her.

Draco knew he had to leave now before he broke his resolve. Carefully so as not to wake her, Draco extricated himself from Hermione's arms. He allowed himself to look upon her one last time. With a gentle caress, he brushed a strand of hair from her face before leaning down and softly kissing her cheek.

"I love you," he whispered before walking out the door.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Hermione slowly opened her eyes to find herself alone on the bed. Though deeply disappointed, she understood that Draco might need some time to himself after everything that happened. Hermione sighed as she remembered the broken state she found Draco in last night. Even now, all she wanted to do was hold him in her arms and never let go. The thought of losing him was terrifying. Despite his protests, there was no way she was letting him go without a fight. She was relieved when he finally gave in and accepted that she loved him. Hermione smiled. She couldn't believe that she blurted it out in the heat of the moment. Looking back on it though, she didn't regret it. She knew in her heart of hearts, in the depth of her soul, that she loved Draco Malfoy. Even though he didn't say it back, she hoped that someday, Draco would come to love her too.

oOoOoOoOoOo

"So are you coming to watch us practice tomorrow?" Harry asked Hermione.

"Maybe, it depends on when I finish that Charms essay." Hermione replied as they walked back to the Gryffindor common room after dinner.

The hallways were quiet as most of the students were still in the Great Hall. Harry and Hermione had free period for their last class so they decided to have dinner early in order to have more time to work on homework for the night. Well, that was Hermione's reason anyway. Harry was just hungry.

"Oh come on Hermione, you should come. We're totally going to – "Harry suddenly stopped in the middle of the hallway.

Hermione stifled a gasp when she followed his line of vision.

Draco was walking out of an empty classroom with his arms around a girl – a familiar blonde haired girl. Genevieve Harrington. Hermione watched in horror as Draco tipped Genevieve's chin up and met her lips in a searing kiss.

Hermione felt like she had the wind knocked out of her. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't move.

Apparently, Harry could. In a flash he walked up to the couple, swung his fist, and punched Draco right in the face. Draco was about to fight back when he heard Hermione's cry.

"No!"

Draco looked past Harry and met Hermione's eyes. He would never forget the look in her eyes in that moment. Her eyes were filled with pure anguish. There was no other word to describe it. The only time he'd ever seen that look in her eyes was when he found her in the dungeon after Voldemort showed her Cedric's death. He had vowed to never let her experience that much pain again and here he was, personally causing it. His heart clenched and he felt as if a thousand spears were launched onto him. He relished the pain. It wasn't even close to what he deserved. Draco resisted the urge to push Genevieve away and beg Hermione for forgiveness. No, this is exactly what he wanted. Exactly what he needed to do.

Though it felt like forever, only a moment had passed before Draco turned to Harry with a sneer.

"You couldn't honestly expect me to stay with the Mudblood could you?" Draco spat, pointing a finger at Hermione.

Harry turned to Hermione, shocked.

Harry had punched Draco because of Ron and Genevieve. Draco thought he did it for Hermione.

With a disgusted look, Harry angrily walked away from the couple.

"Harry, wait!" Hermione called out. With one last look at Draco, she turned away and hurried after her best friend.

oOoOoOoOoOo

"Harry, please, let me explain!" Hermione called out desperately as she caught up to Harry.

Harry wrenched his arm away from her grasp. "Explain what Hermione?!" He yelled when he turned to face her. "Explain how you've been lying to me this whole time? Explain how you've been seeing Malfoy behind my back? Explain how you used Cedric as an excuse to shag a DeathEater? Explain what?"

"Please, just – "

"Why should I listen to a word you say? Everything that comes out of your mouth is a lie. How can I trust you? Merlin, Hermione, I can't even look at you right now!" Harry breathed heavily, his eyes crackling with fury and betrayal. The next moment his demeanour turned cold. "You know what? I'm done." With that he turned around and walked away.

Stunned and broken, Hermione crumpled to the floor as her whole life crashed before her once more.