Chapter 28

To say Draco hated himself would be an understatement. If he had a choice between going through this or medieval torture, he would gladly choose torture. He knew that he would have to hurt Hermione in order to save her but he wasn't prepared for how much anguish it would cause her. He would rather die a thousand deaths than cause her that much pain. But it wasn't just his life on the line. The only thing that kept him going was the thought that no matter what, Potter would be with her. But even that, he managed to screw up. Because of him, Hermione lost her best friend. He honestly thought that Potter somehow knew about him and Hermione and that's why he punched him. Later, he realized that Potter thought Draco was causing Genevieve to cheat on Weasley. Draco would have gladly let Potter beat him to a pulp if only to atone for Hermione's suffering but he had to keep up appearances for Genevieve.

Genevieve. The slut was a piece of work. He knew she wasn't that attached to Weasley but she could've at least shown some decency and class. No, one look from him and she was all over him like potions on Longbottom. Hermione was so far above her, they weren't even in the same galaxy, much less the same league. But it was the only way he could think of that would hurt Hermione enough to leave him. He just hoped it was worth it.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Genevieve was on cloud nine as she walked towards Gryffindor Tower. Things had turned out better than she'd hoped. She was getting tired of Ron Weasley. After getting a place in Gryffindor's, and Hogwarts', elite, he lost his use. Draco's attentions couldn't have come at a better time. Despite the dark stigma, the Malfoy name hadn't lost its prestige. Now that she had conquered Hogwarts, she had to start looking at the bigger picture – the world outside of school – and Draco Malfoy was the right guy for the job. And now to add Hermione to the bargain! Genevieve sneered. Ever since finding out that Hermione had received the internship instead of her, Genevieve had been looking for a way to get back at the mudblood bitch. Finding out that she had stolen Hermione's boyfriend from her (twice!), was the icing on the cake. She scoffed. She couldn't believe Hermione was stupid enough to think that Draco was into her. As if he could ever be interested in mudblood scum like her! Genevieve knew that there must've been a good reason for Draco to even sully himself with someone that low. He must've done it to increase his influence with Dumbledore and the school. He was going to be Head Boy, after all.

Genevieve's musings were cut short when she was suddenly pulled into a corner.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" She demanded when she found herself face to face with Ron.

"I should ask you the same question!" he retorted hotly. "Harry just told me that he saw you snogging Malfoy!" Ron waited for her to deny it. When she didn't, his tone became defeated. "So, it's true then."

"Of course Ronald," Genevieve scoffed. "You didn't honestly believe that you, a Weasley, were good enough for me, did you?"

"You bitch," Ron said, his temper returning. "I'm going to tell everyone what you did. How you lied to everyone and seduced me while I was still going out with Hermione. I'm going to tell everyone just how much of a cheating slut you really are."

"Seduced you?" Genevieve asked incredulously. "Someone must've obliviated you because as I remember, you were practically drooling the first time I talked to you. And you won't tell anyone anything. You will tell everyone that we broke up before I started seeing Draco because you wouldn't want everyone to know that I chose Draco over you. That you were just a placeholder until something better came along. You wouldn't want everyone to know that once again, Weasley came second to Malfoy." Genevieve paused. "Don't give me that look. You're not so innocent in all this. You used me to try to get out of Harry's shadow. You only became friends with him in the first place because of his scar. But you know what? You'll never get out of Harry's shadow. You're just not cut out for glory. You'll always be the sidekick. If I were you, I'd do everything to keep my pride, Ron. It's all you have left."