Chapter 26

Hermione looked into Harry's eyes, seeing nothing but concern. She didn't know what to do. She was tired of lying to him and he was right. She should give him a chance. Given everything that just happened she wanted to give in, to tell him everything. He had a right to know didn't he?

Hermione took a deep breath. "Harry, I – "

"Hermione!" Ginny exclaimed as she walked walked into the Common Room to find two people there. "We were so worried about you," Ginny said as she gave Hermione a hug. "Merlin Hermione!" she exclaimed as she pulled away and noticed Hermione's clothes. "Where have you been hiding that cute butt all this time?!" Hermione looked at her blankly. "And that top! It's absolutely gorgeous on you – why don't you ever wear it?"

"Ginny," Harry said wearily.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting something?"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "Hermione was just about to tell us where she was this morning."

But Ginny's interruption had broken the spell. It had given Hermione a much needed wake-up call. Despite everything between them, there's no way Hermione can tell Harry the truth about Draco – a lot of it wasn't even her story to tell. But she was sick of lying to Harry. So she decided to give him the truth – just not the one he was looking for.

The Common Room became busier as people started to head down for breakfast.

"Can we talk somewhere else?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry replied.

They made their way to an abandoned classroom which Harry proceeded to secure with locking and silencing spells. They sat down on the desks. Harry and Ginny looked at Hermione expectantly.

"I..." Hermione hesitated. "You have to promise not to interrupt me until I've finished the whole story."

"We promise," said Harry.

"I was visiting Cedric's memorial," Hermione stated.

"Why – "

"Because I was in love with him," Hermione interrupted.

Ignoring their shocked faces, she took a deep breath and proceeded to tell them about her past relationship with Cedric.

"Why didn't you tell me any of this before?" Harry asked when Hermione finished her story.

"Did you not listen to a word I said? Everyone – "

"I'm not everyone," Harry insisted. "I'm your best friend and aside from all that, do you really think I would've cared? That I would've thought that you were 'fraternizing with the enemy' as you so eloquently pointed out? I trust you Hermione, I know you would never betray me like that." Hermione inwardly cringed at Harry's last statement. "Besides, Cedric was a good guy. I can see you guys being good together. You can't help who you fall in love with and the situation was hardly anyone's fault. I thought you had more trust in me than that."

"I know Harry. I'm sorry." And she was. A part of her felt guilty about lying to them again but another part of her was happy that they now knew about Cedric. Telling Draco was one thing, but finally telling Harry after all these years felt like a huge weight off her shoulders. It felt like the final step in fully letting go of that part of her past.

"I'm sorry you had to go through all that alone," Harry said, as he and Ginny gave Hermione a hug.

"It's all in the past now," Hermione replied.

Suddenly, Harry's stomach grumbled breaking the somber mood. The girls laughed.

"I think we should get to the Great Hall before they stop serving breakfast," Hermione said with a laugh, looking at her watch.