Chapter 23

"So, are you ready for today?" Harry asked Hermione over breakfast.

"I think so," Hermione replied, spreading some jam on her toast. "I'm a little nervous. There's so much I need to catch up on."

"Don't worry, we didn't really do much the past couple of weeks anyway," Harry reassured her. "Even the professors were sort of out of sorts when you weren't here. McGonagall was so depressed she just gave a whole bunch of pages to read in class. Hey Ginny," Harry greeted, giving his girlfriend a good morning kiss.

"Good morning to you too," Ginny murmured after they broke for air. "Good morning everyone," Ginny greeted the rest of the table.

"Do you have to do that in front of us? We're trying to eat you know," Ron whined.

"Do you have to be such an arse? Honestly, Ron, I can do whatever I want!"

Hermione tuned out Ginny's retort with a smile. It felt good to be in the Great Hall again. She never realized how much she missed the loud meals until she didn't have them anymore. She looked around the room taking it all in. Her eyes landed on the Slytherin table where she was surprised to find Draco staring intently at her. She surreptitiously smiled in his direction and her heart skipped a beat when she saw his features soften for a moment. He gave her a small smile before turning his attention to Blaise who had asked him something.

Hermione couldn't help but think about the night before. The feeling of being with Draco again was indescribable. She felt so many emotions at once, she couldn't pinpoint and recognize them even if she tried.

They talked for hours well into the night but Hermione couldn't remember what they had said. All she can remember is the feeling of sitting beside him, his arm wrapped around her. They were never apart the whole night. He always held some part of her – he stroked her arm, played with her hair, held her hand as they talked. She was baffled by his behaviour but also grateful for it. After being apart for so long, she felt an overwhelming need to be close to him and she was glad that he understood and she didn't need to ask. Eventually, they fell asleep.

Hermione woke up with a soft smile that morning when she realized she was still in Draco's arms. Her head lay comfortably on his shoulder while his arm was around hers. She could feel his head resting on top of her hair so she tried to remain still so as not to wake him up.

Hermione felt the sense of peace she only felt with Draco as she watched his chest rise and fall. She felt like could stay like that forever.

A slight movement broke her musings. She felt Draco tighten his hold and take a deep breath above her.

"Good morning," Draco whispered with a smile, making Hermione's heart beat so fast she was surprised he couldn't hear it.

"Hey," Hermione answered softly, looking up at him nervously.

"Are you gonna be okay with today?" Draco asked, concerned at her expression. "Maybe you should take the day off."

"No," Hermione said with a smile, relieved that he misinterpreted her expression. "The sooner I get back into things the better. I'm sure I have a lot to catch up on."

"Well, don't rush it," Draco replied. "You know you can always ask me for help. I hear I'm quite the brilliant student."

"From who? Yourself?" Hermione asked with a grin. "No thanks. Besides, I'll just ask Harry if I don't get something."

There was a pause before they both laughed out loud.

"Sure, go ahead, if you want to fail out of Hogwarts," Draco said, still laughing.