Chapter 4

After the "Horcrux Incident" as Hermione liked to call it, it'd be nice to say that everything went back to normal - that Harry, Ron, and Genevieve made more of an effort to make sure Hermione was up to date and Hermione found time and made an effort to join them in their mission. Unfortunately, things don't always go the way you want them to.

Two days after the incident, Dumbledore announced at breakfast that OWL results would be handed out during dinner and that the names of the new Head Boy and Head Girl would be posted after dinner. Needless to say, Hermione was a bundle of nerves the whole day. She found herself looking at the clock every few minutes willing it to move faster and she couldn't concentrate in any of her classes. Even when Neville spilled something on her shoe during potions that turned her shoe blue, she merely changed the colour back to black and murmured "Thank you, Neville". Speaking of Potions, Snape was rather relieved to finally have a day without Hermione's hand constantly in the air. He contemplated reprimanding her for not paying attention but he didn't want to remind her to concentrate and have that stupid hand constantly in his face for the rest of the class. All day, everyone (except of course for the Slytherins) kept coming up to Hermione to congratulate her and/or wish her luck. Everyone kept telling her that she would get it for sure. Hermione simply smiled back and thanked them. She didn't want to jinx it and so she didn't make any further comments.

Finally, dinner came. Hermione barely ate anything because she didn't think the butterflies in her stomach would let her keep food in it. Halfway through dinner, the school owls came in and dropped a parchment in front of every 7th year student. With trembling hands Hermione unrolled her parchment.

Hermione Granger, 7th year, Gryffindor

Ancient Runes – O

Arithmancy – O

Care of Magical Creatures – O

Charms – O

Defense Against the Dark Arts – O

Herbology – O

History of Magic – O

Muggle Studies – O

Potions – O

Transfiguration – O

O Outstanding, E Exceeds Expectations, A Acceptable, P Poor, D Dreadful, T Troll

With a huge sigh, and an even bigger smile on her face, Hermione rolled her parchment back up. She had done it. Straight Os was the best she could've gotten and she got it. All her hard work had paid off. She now just had to wait until the new Head Girl name was posted. At this point though, that was merely a formality. She did, after all get the best grades possible so there's really no reason why she wouldn't get it. For once in her life, Hermione wholeheartedly believed what others have been telling her all these years. Maybe she is smart. Maybe she does deserve Head Girl after all. A moan broke her out of her reverie.

"A D in Potions?! And a P in History of Magic?! Mum's gonna kill me!" Ron moaned. "It's not my fault that Snape hates us and that Binns is about as interesting as watching paint dry."

Everyone laughed. "I'm sure it'll be alright Ron," Hermione said.

"Yeah," said Ginny trying hard not to laugh. "I'm sure Mum won't kill you. Fred and George did worse on their exams and they're still alive. They're now both deaf in one ear but still alive." That had everyone going again. That is, until an owl flew in and dropped a very red piece of parchment in front of Ron.

"Bloody hell," Ron groaned. "I forgot they send out the scores to our parents at the same time."

"I'd get out of here and open it somewhere else mate," Harry warned. "You wouldn't want a repeat of what happened before do you?"